1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:59 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jsills78
Called TAO TAO today and they said the new ones are set up to bog down from the factory. They said that unscrewing the top part of the carb and moving the needle up or down would fix this. He didn't know which way for sure. Can anyone confirm that this may help before I attempt this?
They are all set up lean to pass C.A.R.B. and or E.P.A. tests (that causes the bog or hesitation)... I would turn out the fuel screw 1/2 to 1 turn and see if that helps... If you change the needle position you want to lower the clip which will raise the needle...and richen the mid range and up a bit..

Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI for you MWQ if he's got the same 110 that's on my son's quad there is no mixture screw, only idle and bowl drain. The only way to adjust the mixture is the needle or re jetting.

Nick

Old 02-23-2010, 09:38 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by nimadd
FYI for you MWQ if he's got the same 110 that's on my son's quad there is no mixture screw, only idle and bowl drain. The only way to adjust the mixture is the needle or re jetting.

Nick
Thanks nimadd.. Is there a plug over the screw or no screw at all? Bummer if its missing all together. If its not there..may be a emissions thing?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Range Rover

I don't think it's there at all but I could be wrong.

The plugs that are there are very small and from there locations look like the ones they use on outboard motor carbs to seal in check valve ***** and block off where they had to drill 2 holes at a 90 to make a passage from the other jets to the carb throat.

I'll take some pics when I get home and post them

Nick

Old 02-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On mine where the air mixture screw would be is just a brass stud.

How hard is it to adjust that needle. I have taken the carb off my other ones before but I am not an expert at this. I have never even noticed that I could adjust the needle. Anyone have a picture showing how to do it?

Josh

Old 02-23-2010, 01:17 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

I don't think it's there at all but I could be wrong.

The plugs that are there are very small and from there locations look like the ones they use on outboard motor carbs to seal in check valve ***** and block off where they had to drill 2 holes at a 90 to make a passage from the other jets to the carb throat.

I'll take some pics when I get home and post them

Nick
Im struggling with a carb that doesnt have a fuel or air mixture screw..

But Ive never looked that close at a outboard motor..

Id appreciate that...

Old 02-23-2010, 01:20 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by jsills78
On mine where the air mixture screw would be is just a brass stud.

How hard is it to adjust that needle. I have taken the carb off my other ones before but I am not an expert at this. I have never even noticed that I could adjust the needle. Anyone have a picture showing how to do it?

Josh
Im wondering if there is a screw under that stud..

The tricky part is removing the cable from the slide...not sure if yours thread thru the bottom of the slide or the side.. You need to compress the spring to release the cable...

nimadd, have you ever had your slide out?

Old 02-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer

The other thing is which way do I move it. Nimadd, are you saying I need to look at my plug to see which way I need to move the needle.

Another question. Nimadd said in one of his first posts on this thread about changing the spark plug to an ngk or autolite. I bought an autolite yesterday. He mentioned the gap being .0027 or .0028. What does that mean?

Josh

Old 02-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Range Rover

Yep.

First a couple of things to keep in mind

1) The Tao Tao tech is not able to do any diagnostics he is only giving his educated opinion.

2) Because a wrong setting could damage your motor it’s <<<VERY IMPORTANT>>> to read your spark plug first to see if you even need to adjust the needle and which way rich or lean.

Okay with the CYOA stuff out of the way.

As the Tao Tao tech said unscrew the cap on top of the carb and pull the assembly out of the carb throat.

You’ll have the throttle cable, cap, the plastic slide, the needle and a spring.

On the needle there is an E clip securing it to the spring. There should be multiple groves in the needle to allow for adjustment. Lowering that clip on the needle raises it with respect to the jet and allows more fuel and richens the fuel air mixture. Raising the clip lowers the needle with respect to the jet and leans out the fuel air mixture.

Once you have the throttle cable, cap, slide, spring and needle all back together look at the plastic slide. The high side of bevel in the middle of the slide goes toward the idle screw when you put the assembly back in the carb throat. If this goes in backward the slide stops at the idle screw and the carb is set to full throttle so pay close attention to this step.

Nick

Old 02-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer

Yep.

First a couple of things to keep in mind

1) The Tao Tao tech is not able to do any diagnostics he is only giving his educated opinion.

2) Because a wrong setting could damage your motor it’s <<<VERY IMPORTANT>>> to read your spark plug first to see if you even need to adjust the needle and which way rich or lean.

Okay with the CYOA stuff out of the way.

As the Tao Tao tech said unscrew the cap on top of the carb and pull the assembly out of the carb throat.

You’ll have the throttle cable, cap, the plastic slide, the needle and a spring.

On the needle there is an E clip securing it to the spring. There should be multiple groves in the needle to allow for adjustment. Lowering that clip on the needle raises it with respect to the jet and allows more fuel and richens the fuel air mixture. Raising the clip lowers the needle with respect to the jet and leans out the fuel air mixture.

Once you have the throttle cable, cap, slide, spring and needle all back together look at the plastic slide. The high side of bevel in the middle of the slide goes toward the idle screw when you put the assembly back in the carb throat. If this goes in backward the slide stops at the idle screw and the carb is set to full throttle so pay close attention to this step.

Nick
Thanks man. I have had other carbs off but never looked at that needle. And thanks for the reminder on reinstalling it. I had to learn that the hard way once.

Quick Reply: Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions