1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

red cat 200cc

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy red cat 200cc

i have a red cat 200cc that my brother purchased from his neighbor. has new battery,has spark,compression, but when you try and start the quad it wont even act like it want's to start in fact if you hit the throttle it will stop turning over can any one help with this problem??????

Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

also i have cleaned the carb and even checked the valve clearence which is at .005

Old 04-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a little confused over the following two statements:

Originally Posted by sean82
...when you try and start the quad it wont even act like it want's to start ...
and

Originally Posted by sean82
...in fact if you hit the throttle it will stop turning over...
They seem to be in conflict with each other.

After cranking the starter for a while is the plug wet with fuel? If you pour in a half teaspoon of fuel into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and reinstall the plug does it fire at all?

You say you have compression. What is it? Did you measure it?

What is the history of this quad? Have you ever seen it running yourself, or are you relying on the testimony of the neighbor of your brother?

Old 04-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

At first we where able to tow start the quad, then one night we parked it in the garage and the next morning it would not tow start so I replaced the battery and still noting. But it does get fuel in the cylinder the spark plug does get wet and has spark. If you put a table spoon of fuel in the cylinder and reinstall the spark plug it does not fire

Old 04-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Electrical Expert

Have you adjusted the valves? Hard starting when cold is a classic symptom. The last time it ran did it run fine, and start up fine after being briefly shut off? Then become a problem when the engine got cold?

Then it is back to measuring the compression.

And one more thing I would do: Disconnect the CDI and measure the trigger voltage pin in the wiring harness to ground while cranking the engine. Measure the voltage on the lowest AC scale you have. What do you measure? It should be roughly 0.3 volts AC.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

After cranking the starter for a while is the plug wet with fuel? If you pour in a half teaspoon of fuel into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and reinstall the plug does it fire at all?
Does starter fluid in these carbs do any damage?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by windtrader
Does starter fluid in these carbs do any damage?
The last time I used starting fluid was on a 1961 cadillac convertible. I bought the car for $300, and drove it for two years. When it was cold outside that was the only way it would start. When it started it would ping for a second or two.

I've read reports of quad engines with holes punched in the piston after using starter fluid. Others say it works fine. I bought a can recently after my neighbors quad started having a little trouble starting when cold (problem now fixed). I was going to try it out on his quad, but it turned out not to be necessary.

If I remember right, there are two kinds. They both contain ether. The other ingredients were different. Same brand, same can, slightly different labels, and different ingredients. I have no idea why the difference. I flipped a coin and bought the kind on the left.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It shouldn't hert anything if you don't use too much. Keep in mind it does burn hotter than 87oct gas.