1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Slip on Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip on Mufflers

Has enyone tried a slip on muffler? Does it improve power. Is it worth it?

Old 04-29-2010, 09:47 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Welcome to the forum quietb4storm!

I modified the end of my stock muffler so it wasnt so restrictive. It had a 3/4" hole and now has a 1 1/4" hole. I repacked the muffler with fiberglass while i had it apart.Put a Uni Pod filter on it and went 2 sizes larger on the pilot jet and 3-4 sizes larger on the main jet. This was on my Jetmoto 250.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Range Rover

i put just a slip on and the jet it came with on my 350 raptor and it made a big improvment on it . but i think it depends on how restrictive the stock can is

Old 04-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
Welcome to the forum quietb4storm!

I modified the end of my stock muffler so it wasnt so restrictive. It had a 3/4" hole and now has a 1 1/4" hole. I repacked the muffler with fiberglass while i had it apart.Put a Uni Pod filter on it and went 2 sizes larger on the pilot jet and 3-4 sizes larger on the main jet. This was on my Jetmoto 250.
did that increase your top end speed. What kind of carb did you have? i dont think my carb is that flexible.

But i realy want to improve top end and toruqe.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:15 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by quietb4storm
did that increase your top end speed. What kind of carb did you have? i dont think my carb is that flexible.

But i realy want to improve top end and toruqe.
Yes because the engine was starving for fuel at full throttle.. My carb looks very similar to the pic of yours... PZ30 is on the side of mine... Its a Deni (standard of Japan) not made there but it sounds good.

Those are 2 different things..tough to get both..you gotta remember these engines will never set the world on fire.. but can be made to perform better with a few simple mods.. jetting, air filter, muffler work/repacking.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Those are 2 different things..tough to get both..you gotta remember these engines will never set the world on fire.. but can be made to perform better with a few simple mods.. jetting, air filter, muffler work/repacking.[/QUOTE]

Understood, so where can i start. Do you know of a muffler that i can buy with out having to repack? If not will i need to weld for change the out put on my exshaust. I dont know where to look or where to start.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:16 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Looking at your pics form the other thread.. youve got a heavy and more then likely restrictive muffler..Not sure but Id call Jetmoto and see if they will sell you aluminum muffler off one of their 200-250 quads..Or maybe see if the place you got yours from offers a aluminum muffler upgrade on another model of atv?

Old 04-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
Looking at your pics form the other thread.. youve got a heavy and more then likely restrictive muffler..Not sure but Id call Jetmoto and see if they will sell you aluminum muffler off one of their 200-250 quads..Or maybe see if the place you got yours from offers a aluminum muffler upgrade on another model of atv?
First i would like to say thanks for all you help. I have a couple of closeup pictures of the muffler, air filter and carb. Tell me what you think. I feel confident i can move to the next step after your assesment.

Attached Thumbnails Slip on Mufflers-cimg0481.jpg   Slip on Mufflers-cimg0485.jpg   Slip on Mufflers-cimg0486.jpg  
Old 04-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Additional pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Slip on Mufflers-eg1.jpg   Slip on Mufflers-eg2.jpg   Slip on Mufflers-filter.jpg  
Old 05-04-2010, 06:49 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Thanks for the pics Sorry for taking so long to respond.. Ive got a machine shop and when im busy and my cnc mill isnt running I cant post much..

That pipe muffler combo looks a lot like the one that came on my Jetmoto 200 motorcycle..Heavy and restrictive. The problem is getting something that will fit... You may be able to get a exhaust off of something else(Tao Tao, Jetmoto, V-Bike, etc...) that would work with some mods.. Ill try and post a pic or 2 of the exhaust on my Jetmoto 250 today..

That air filter from my experience only looks like a K&N... when oiled they dont flow very well...Id get a Uni Pod Filter..

The carb looks identical to the one on my Jetmoto 250..Mine uses Keihin jets.. pretty sure the stock main was a 109... 117 was the factory upgrade...think I went with a 128.. The stock pilot jet was a 41.. went to a 45 or 47... I can check these numbers this week and post what I find..

Like Ive said you arent going to set the world (or any Japanese quads) on fire, but any engine can be made to perform better than it did stock...Most of these come jetted real lean to pass the EPA and or CARB emissions test... Simply jetting them a little richer will help the power everywhere..

Quick Reply: Slip on Mufflers