1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Electric Start Not Working!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Start Not Working!!!

ok so my uncle has a chinese atv i have been working on it had a bad starter relay would only click i replaced it with a new one now the electric start button is not working its just keeps blowing the main fuse by the battery if i disconnect it i can start it by jumping the starter relay any ideas

Old 04-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What kind of quad? What is size is your engine?

If you unplug the two small wires to the solenoid, then press the start button (with the ignition on), does the fuse blow?

Do you have a meter? What is the resistance of the solenoid actuating coil? To measure this you need to probe the two small wires going into the solenoid on a really low resistance scale like 20 ohms. What do you measure?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

were not too famliar with it so im not sure what size of engine we belive its a 200... but its made by cool sports. heres the the thing the starter button was making the solenoid click but wouldnt start unless a jumped the solenoid with a wrench so i figured the solenoid was bad so i replaced it and when i went to start it with the electric start button it stuck and wont come out took it apart cleaned it and put it back together and still no change just blows the master fuse so my friend suggested disconnecting that button and wiring it into a dirtbike killswitch and using it as a starter button but im not quite sure on how to wire it?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Electrical Expert

Your going to need a meter and start to do some measurements. Start with the ones in the last post.

Also measure the resistance of both solenoid pins to ground with the ignition switch off. Do those readings change when the start button is held in (ignition is still off)?

The purpose of these tests is to try and figure out how you quad is wired, and then on to why the fuses are blowing.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

well i took apart the switch assembly again today and the starters button wires were fused together so i clipped them off put the switch assembly back on and wired the starter button wires to a old dirtbike kill switch i had no more fuses blowing and it fired right up wth the new switch so no more problems as of right now knock-on-wood lol

Old 04-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Electrical Expert

All's well that ends well. I'm glad you got it running.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry to jump into this thread but after searching i came across this and it sounds exactly what is going on with my bayou 220.. I have installed a inline starter from the starter and also has a inline fuse (15amp) that keeps blowing as i hit the push button starter.. I disconnected the two wires from the solenoid and the fuse continues to blow..... and i measured with a multimeter that is automatic it reads 7.531 when i have the ignition turned to on position , but when the ignition is off i get nothing on the multimeter... hope you could help me with this... thanks

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
What kind of quad? What is size is your engine?

If you unplug the two small wires to the solenoid, then press the start button (with the ignition on), does the fuse blow?

Do you have a meter? What is the resistance of the solenoid actuating coil? To measure this you need to probe the two small wires going into the solenoid on a really low resistance scale like 20 ohms. What do you measure?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by twistednightste
Sorry to jump into this thread but after searching i came across this and it sounds exactly what is going on with my bayou 220.. I have installed a inline starter from the starter and also has a inline fuse (15amp) that keeps blowing as i hit the push button starter.. I disconnected the two wires from the solenoid and the fuse continues to blow..... and i measured with a multimeter that is automatic it reads 7.531 when i have the ignition turned to on position , but when the ignition is off i get nothing on the multimeter... hope you could help me with this... thanks
I don't know much of anything about Kawasakis. Do you have a wiring diagram? I went searching on the internet and couldn't find one after searching for a couple minutes. With a wiring diagram I can most likely help. Without one I don't know how similar your quad is to a chinese generic quad.