1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

ticking

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking

tao tao ata 125. seems there is a slight ticking in the motor. everything was fine. thing is running real good surprisingly. the ticking is not present on a cold startup. only notice it when its warm and been running a bit. not loud. but its noticable after 15 minutes of riding. when cold though. no ticking. Im thinking it needs a valve clearance adjustment. anyone know what the clearance would be and how do I find top dead center? is there a cover that comes off somewhere to expose the timing marks? ? and should I check the clearance and set it when cold? seems like a little trouble to get to the exhaust valve.

on a side note I had carb troubles with this quad before But I fixed it. the float pin would keep coming out of the float in the carb. then gas would pour out of the float bowl overflow drain hose. ripped that carb off about 5 times before i decided to fix the problem for good. what I did was i took an old drillbit slightly bigger than the original float pin. made sure it slid on there tight but the float itself still worked good. cut off the length I needed and put it back together. ( the smooth end that goes in the drill, not the drill end ) havent had a problem since.

thanks

Curt

Old 07-21-2010, 12:41 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Welcome to the forum 222CT!

Valve clearance is .004.. set cold. timing marks are under the left side case(flywheel) and under the valve cover(cam)

I think it could be a exhaust leak causing the tick though..

Old 07-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hm. I didnt think of that. Ill check that out first. Ya I notice these things come loose. all bolts and nuts need to be checked. I already lost a few actually lol lol. thing vibrates alot! plus theres alot of "stuff" connected to this exhaust. all kinds of unecessary "stuff" lol that I will probably take off in the near future. all that hinders performance. lol. but since my boy is only 5, he dont need to go toooo fast just yet. lol thing is surprisingly fast. and he has not gotten it out of first gear yet. tao tao ata 125 110 cc does have a 3 speed? Im wondering now actually. even flying downhill it hasnt shifted yet. granted the throttle control screw is all the way in.