Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

330 ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok tonight i'm riding it, all of a sudden it starts ticking. not knocking..not clunking..ticking..just lightly..and it gets fast as it revs up. I have no idea what the heck this is.

First i assume, valves need adjusted. Well they were lose. Problem solved? hardly. Put everything back together. Its still ticking. And its clearly coming from the top of the motor, not the piston area but right on the top where the valves/cam is.

I was thinking about it predetonating. Since i am running 87 in it still. Would this cause a ticking?

I don't get it at all. It runs fine, has lost no power, my jetting is right on. Just ticks a lil. And everything is new! Execpt my rocker arms....maybe they are wearing out already from the 330 kit? but in 3 hours? geezus..

I didn't exactly break it in, I just took it easy the first 2 hours. And this last hour is when i have opened it up, but not as hard as i usually ride.

Old 04-20-2001, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

I run 100 octane in mine and adjust the valves after every-other ride. Also, keep an eye on your oil. I run Hondaline HP20w-50 synthetic without an oil cooler. My motor turns the oil to sludge in about 3-4 hours. After some hard riding, my engine makes a ticking sound during cool-down. I think that it is just the internal parts cooling down and changing size.

How do you like the power of the 330? I love mine. I'm still playing with the gearing for the different tire sizes(18" and 20" rears). I race my first MX event of the season this Sunday. Hopefully that goes well.

Old 04-20-2001, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

I can't totally picture how the top of the motor looks inside. (i've very tired right now, just got off of work) Are the rockers directy in contact with the cam? It's possible that the rockers were worn a certain way from the old cam and now that the new cam (did you get a new cam?) is in they are making a ticking sound because the aren't conacting the cam perfectly.
It happens in car motors like that, thats why when you change something like a cam on a car you really should change everything else (lifters, pushrods, rockers) so that everything is totally new and you wont get anything wearing out prematurly from a part that is worn oddly.

It could also be, like you said, that it is detonating. You can get a slight pinging that might not even be audible. If i were you i'd try going to a higher octane fuel just for the heck of it to make sure thats not the problem.
Is the piston a high compression piston? If so then you definately have to get a higher octane fuel.

Old 04-20-2001, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

I can't totally picture how the top of the motor looks inside. (i'm very tired right now, just got off of work) Are the rockers directy in contact with the cam? It's possible that the rockers were worn a certain way from the old cam and now that the new cam (did you get a new cam?) is in they are making a ticking sound because the aren't conacting the cam perfectly.
It happens in car motors like that, thats why when you change something like a cam on a car you really should change everything else (lifters, pushrods, rockers) so that everything is totally new and you wont get anything wearing out prematurly from a part that is worn oddly.

It could also be, like you said, that it is detonating. You can get a slight pinging that might not even be audible. If i were you i'd try going to a higher octane fuel just for the heck of it to make sure thats not the problem.
Is the piston a high compression piston? If so then you definately have to get a higher octane fuel.

Old 04-20-2001, 11:22 PM
Range Rover

what compression of piston do you have?
if you have higher than stock you need to run 92/93 and higher. especially if you have over a 11:1

Old 04-25-2001, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

Ever thought about a heavier oil. It'll be a bit harder on the engine when cold, but depending on where you live, this may be an option.

Old 04-25-2001, 05:04 PM
Range Rover

my 330 also ticks like yours, since i keep my valves properly adjusted, i just figured it was normal and that maybee it was from the stonger valve springs. those springs are so stiff it might be from the rockers working so hard on pushing them down. I really dont know what it is though, but i have had mine for almost a year and it has always ran strong so it must not be a major problem, but i know what you are saying. any way good luck with it.
Hey CSTARK, have you found a good gear ratio yet? let me know how yours is working out! Alex

Old 04-25-2001, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

i am running a 11:1 piston.

I haven't messed with it much, but its clearly not coming from the valve area....more like the right side down low. not on the right though..

Old 04-26-2001, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

I am running 14/38 right now with 18" Holeshot MX tires. It works well. Just the right amount of spin, just the right amount of acceleration.
I'm hopeing the 14/38 will also work for the 20" Holeshot XC's I will be running in the HareScramble season. Time will tell.

How do you guy's like the power of the 330? I love mine. Another guy also runs one in my District MX series. After the last race, several people wanted to know what kind of motor I was running because my lap times were faster than most of the 250/400 riders. No bad....

Old 04-26-2001, 03:49 PM
Trailblazer

What year is your quad? I would probubly bet that its your CAM CHAIN its probubly stretched out slaping against the side walls...just a guess

good luck

Quick Reply: 330 ticking?