1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

stator 110 kazuma falcon (help)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My meter go go to 10 to 500 the trigger reads 0 the ac reads 2.5 when the meter is on 250 when its on 10 it gos all the way to the top.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by champinejosh
My meter go go to 10 to 500 the trigger reads 0 the ac reads 2.5 when the meter is on 250 when its on 10 it gos all the way to the top.
Could we back up a bit... What is the problem you are trying to solve? What type of quad? Engine size? Year?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

I dont know what year it is. I think a 04 or 05. but it is a kazuma falcon 110.I cant get spark. i changed the flyweel. and still nuthing. how would i check the CDI box to see if it bad? or what outher things could i check? Thanks

Old 08-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Electrical Expert

I messed up on my last post. I apologize for that. I started on page two of the thread thinking it was the first post - ignoring all the data before. My bad...

I'm not able to make sense out of your meter readings. I need to understand these readings or I can't make any valid conclusions. You wrote:

"My meter go go to 10 to 500 the trigger reads 0 the ac reads 2.5 when the meter is on 250 when its on 10 it gos all the way to the top."
Your supposed to be measuring the AC ignition power AC voltage while cranking the starter, and the timing trigger voltage while cranking the starter. This is done with the CDI unplugged, and measuring the voltage on the CDI connector to engine frame ground:

AC ignition power: Set your meter to measure AC voltages on the 200 volt scale. Red lead goes on the AC ingition power pin, and black lead goes to ground. Report what you read while cranking the engine with as much detail as you can.

Timing Trigger Voltage: Set your meter to measure AC voltage on the *lowest scale possible* on you meter for AC volts. Hopefully your meter will go down to 20 volts AC (or even lower), but even if your lowest scale is 200 volts AC then measure it anyway. Report back what you find. This voltage will be very low, but it should not be zero. Be sure to report back all the digits you read, including decimal points, and also what the minimum AC voltage scale on your meter that you used.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok the (AC ignition power) with my meter set at 250 reads 2.0 volts. while cranking the starter.

The (timing trigger) with my meter set at 10 reads .5 volts while cranking the starter.

my meter gos from 10 volts to 500 volts on the AC setting. Thanks

Old 08-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Electrical Expert

Two volts AC is too low. 50 to 80 volts AC is what you would expect.

Measure the AC voltage on the AC ignition power wire at the stator to ground while cranking. If you get 2 volts AC there too your stator is bad. Usually this is a black/red wire.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am getting 40 volts now with the meter set at 250. still not 50 to 80. i had a bad conetion. The trigger is still the same. Is that good? What do you think the next step is? Thanks

Old 08-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Electrical Expert

I'm a little behind in my posts. I'm a little behind in my sleep too. Life gets busy sometimes... .

40 volts is on the low side but others have reported spark at 35 volts AC. Unlike trigger voltages and ignition coil voltages, the AC ignition power from the stator (CDI disconnected) is very close to a sine wave, so all meters should read the same.

The trigger voltage is higher than typical on a typical meter. Let's see if your CDI is getting triggered. Plug the CDI back in and measure the ignition coil pin AC voltage at the CDI while cranking the engine. Look for mostly zero volts with random numbers in between. That would indicate your CDI is being triggered. If it stays at zero then your CDI is not getting triggered.

One thing I notice in all the posts in this thread is that the measured values keep changing. This is bad. Faulty data leads to faulty conclusions, and this always leads to dead ends. Try your best to get good solid repeatable data. When you measure something it should (under the same circumstances) always be the same. Today, yesterday, and two weeks from now, it should be the same.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

The ignition coil pin measures .5 volts with the meter set at 10 AC. It jumps to 1 then go's to .5.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Electrical Expert

The ignition coil voltage is not right. I was hoping for a clear cut indication as to whether the CDI was triggering or not. Your spikes should be much higher than one volt. You've got power to the CDI, an unusually big trigger signal, and a really low CDI output voltage. I would change the CDI.

You've got the AC stator from your old engine installed, with a new stator lying around which came with the engine (and requires a DC powered CDI). So the question is whether to get an AC or DC powered CDI. Of course if you use a DC powered CDI you will have to rewire the CDI power from the stator to the switched DC power at the ignition switch. AC CDIs are easier to find and are cheap. DC CDI's will work on either stator (after rewiring the CDI power).