1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Crazy Coil (cheetah 90cc ATV)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Crazy Coil (cheetah 90cc ATV)

I just got a Midwest Cheetah 90cc quad. I think that it's a 1999 model. The guy said it lost spark. I started looking for a new coil but am having problems finding one like this.

Sorry, I don't have a pic, but here is the description:

This thing looks like a CDI box but has a spark plug wire connected to it. The box has a white 5-pin connector. Also, the connector from the wiring harness matches to it but only has 4 pins in it.

Please help! I can't find anything out there in webdom that looks like this.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here's a couple of hyperlinks to see if anything matches seeing how you don't have pics.

Ignition Coils for Roketa ATVs - Go Karts - Scooters and Dirt Bikes - RoketaPartsOnline.com
CDI Boxes for Roketa ATVs - Go Karts - Scooters and Dirt Bikes - RoketaPartsOnline.com
cruise through these and see if you can find a pic.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is about the closest cdi/coil combo that I could find to give you a visual. Hope this helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SYM-s...Q5fAccessories

Old 09-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by F3crash
This is about the closest cdi/coil combo that I could find to give you a visual. Hope this helps.

SYM scooter fuel injected CDI and IGNITION COIL combo: eBay Motors (item 290464029040 end time Sep-13-10 10:08:14 PDT)
In your link above I've not seen anything like that, but it does look like all they've done is combined a 6 pin (2 pin and 4 pin) CDI together with a coil.

Does your cheetah CDI have the same connector set as that? If not and you take a pic and post it?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, but I don't have a working camera. But, the connector is a 5-pin square type. I was thinking about getting a separate cdi and coil and going that route. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult. Would doing that work??

Old 09-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

5 pin square type like this?

Name:  50cc-cdi.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  19.2 KB

I'm trying to think why rewiring with a separate coil CDI combination wouldn't work. The coil and CDI would work together of course, but the trigger wire from the stator that fires the CDI would have to be compatible also. This signal has to have the right polarity, and occur at the right time. And there is a possibility that the timing advance with engine speed occurs in the trigger pickup coil design and not the CDI design (which could affect performance).

If I had to guess whether it would work or not, I'd guess 85% success. I have nothing to base this on other than gut feeling, and seeing that most chinese quads use the same design copied from one form to another, and that there is very little chinese innovation in developing new designs.

Chinese coils and CDI's are cheap. If it were me I'd give it a go.

Another data point: Can you find replacement stators for your quad? If so, look at the pics and compare them to the more generic chinese quad stators of the same type. Do they look the same? If so the odds of success are much higher based on my gut feeling guesstimate.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Smile I found the coil you need it's 98 bucks I had the exact issue!!

Originally Posted by F3crash
I just got a Midwest Cheetah 90cc quad. I think that it's a 1999 model. The guy said it lost spark. I started looking for a new coil but am having problems finding one like this.

Sorry, I don't have a pic, but here is the description:

This thing looks like a CDI box but has a spark plug wire connected to it. The box has a white 5-pin connector. Also, the connector from the wiring harness matches to it but only has 4 pins in it.

Please help! I can't find anything out there in webdom that looks like this.

Hey there i found the coil you are talking about I have the exact same problem look up Midwestmv.com The coil is 98 bucks, expensive however it's the only place you can get it. Midwest Motor Vehicles - ATV, Dirt Bikes, Scooters, Quads, & Power Sports
The number to call them is 1-608-223-5160 Hope this helps you out!