1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

baja 50 no spark

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baja 50 no spark

i have replaced almost everything on this think... i have replaced the cdi,coil,plug,magnito only thing havent replaced is the volt reg. anyone have any idea on what could be wrong

Old 09-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Range Rover

The wires themselves. It is very common for the wires to have a break or a loose connection. It is also possible that one of the ignition kill switches is on or grounding.
You have to follow the power from the battery to the switch and also make sure that you have power at the CDI.

You need a volt meter to trace where your power is failing.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

the wire on the coil itself is new along with the coil

Old 09-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, you need a meter. I second Mr.Firemouth's sound advice.

I understand the motive behind just changing stuff to see it will start working. Sometimes you get lucky. The problem with just blindly changing things is that often somewhere along the line you get a bad part and stuff it in. Then you have two problems - and two problems at the same time is usually ten times harder to figure out.

The procedure for no spark problems is to eliminate kill switch issues using a meter or just disconnecting it, measure the power to the CDI (which I'm fairly sure is high voltage AC from the stator on your quad), measure the AC trigger signal voltage, then look for pulses at the igntition coil primary.

The voltage regulator and battery charge circuitry has nothing to do with your "no spark" problem as long as the battery has enough charge to crank the engine over at a normal rate.

If it were me I'd put back all the old parts the way it was before you started swapping things. That way you most likely only have one problem to fix. Then start measuring stuff. There are lots of threads on trouble shooting 5 pin CDIs and the spark system on this site. Just to be absolutely sure please verify that this is a pic of your CDI:

Name:  50cc-cdi.jpg
Views: 2400
Size:  19.2 KB

If you need step by step help then get a meter at the ready and post back.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No spark on a baja 49 I have the meter now what

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Yes, you need a meter. I second Mr.Firemouth's sound advice.

I understand the motive behind just changing stuff to see it will start working. Sometimes you get lucky. The problem with just blindly changing things is that often somewhere along the line you get a bad part and stuff it in. Then you have two problems - and two problems at the same time is usually ten times harder to figure out.

The procedure for no spark problems is to eliminate kill switch issues using a meter or just disconnecting it, measure the power to the CDI (which I'm fairly sure is high voltage AC from the stator on your quad), measure the AC trigger signal voltage, then look for pulses at the igntition coil primary.

The voltage regulator and battery charge circuitry has nothing to do with your "no spark" problem as long as the battery has enough charge to crank the engine over at a normal rate.

If it were me I'd put back all the old parts the way it was before you started swapping things. That way you most likely only have one problem to fix. Then start measuring stuff. There are lots of threads on trouble shooting 5 pin CDIs and the spark system on this site. Just to be absolutely sure please verify that this is a pic of your CDI:

Attachment 18528

If you need step by step help then get a meter at the ready and post back.
Hi

Old 06-09-2019, 01:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Very old thread, but Lyn Edwards went into more detail in the "help diagnose stator" post in the sticky at the top of the engine faults page.