1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Rectifier/Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rectifier/Regulator

hi there i am a newbie so please be gentle i am looking for a regulator/rectifier for a 250cc quad tried to get some from uk chinese part dealers but aint got any in stock

find attached a picture

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

as you can see by the picture it has 3 yellow wires in to one plug and on the other plug it has a red/white, red, and a green one do i have to get the exact wiring colours the same on a new one or can i get different colour wires, i have found one with one colour out on one of the wires any information will be greatly appreciated on this as its doing my head in now

Old 12-10-2010, 01:22 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yikes, that is a big picture!

You need a six pin regulator, and you need to make sure it is for a three phase stator. The three yellow wires are the thing to look for there.
Don't get a 6 wire regulator with two yellow wires, or one with just one yellow wire and one white wire. These are single phase regulators.

One yours most likely the red wire is the positive battery connection through the fuse (and maybe the ignition switch). The green wire is
ground, and the red/white drives the fans.

The wire colors and connectors may not match when you get the new one. You may have to cut off the connectors and wire them manually.
The yellow wires are easy, just wire them up, but the others may require that we measure some things before wiring them up.

What brand of quad? Is it liquid cooled (with fans)? Automatic choke?

Why are you changing the regulator? What symptoms and test results lead you to believe that the regulator is bad?

Old 12-10-2010, 03:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

right i inspected the wires yesterday on the plugs that the rectifier plugs in to there was 3 yellows, one red, one green, and one black, and on the rectifier they were different, i have had this problem with the battery going flat from day 1 when i purchased it, surely the wires should match ?????

its a chinese model XS-D055, yes its liquid cooled, and its got a manual choke.

i havent done no tests as of yet, i spoke to the manufacturer in china and i explained my symptoms and he said it sounds like the rectifier/regulator

Old 12-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by garethjwilliams
... i have had this problem with the battery going flat from day 1 when i purchased it, surely the wires should match ?????

its a chinese model XS-D055, yes its liquid cooled, and its got a manual choke.

i havent done no tests as of yet, i spoke to the manufacturer in china and i explained my symptoms and he said it sounds like the rectifier/regulator
I wouldn't assume the connectors (or even the wires) should match. For some reason regulators just seem to be wired randomly from brand to brand.
Look at this link:

China Parts Ltd Regulator/Rectifier - Zongshen 250 series

The connectors are the wrong sex. They won't mate up. Other six pin regulators have two female connectors, other two male
connectors, and all varieties of color schemes for the ground, battery, and fan wires. No big deal, but you may have to cut off the mismatched connectors
and substitute your own, or wire it direct.

It does sound likely that you regulator is bad. It could be the stator, or wiring opens, but since you have three phase from the stator one open wire would
cause a reduction in charging capacity but wouldn't stop it completely.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok thank you lynn for your insight i will keep you posted as to if it works when i get the new rectifier, hopefully the quad is going to a friend tomorrow to have a new battery holder made so once again thanks

so your basically saying any 3 phase rectifier should work as long as its wired up correctly ??

Old 12-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Electrical Expert

Any 6 pin 250cc three phase regulator should work. We may need to measure the wires on the regulator with a meter to find out which wire color is ground. There should be a diode connection from each of the yellow wires to ground which should conduct when the black lead of the meter is on the yellow wire, and the read lead is on which ever wire is ground.