1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Sunl 109 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010 | 09:03 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Sunl 109 will not start

i know im not the first to deal with this, but i am trying to get this thing running for christmas... HELP!!!d

I have spark (had to disconnect the kill switch module)
I have fuel (smells pretty rich and wonder if this is not my problem)
BUT, i have no start...

I did try starter fluid in the cylinder, nothing.

What could i be missing? any help would be wonderful!

Old 12-22-2010 | 09:46 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

tested the spark by removing the plug and grounding it to the frame, good constant spark.

after cranking the plug will be wet, and you can smell fuel from the exhaust.

thought that might help answer questions and get me to the solution quicker.

thanks for any help guys (and i guess gals too, although my wife just rolls her eyes at the thought of me spending time on the internet talking about quads)

Old 12-23-2010 | 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem, same machine last week. Had spark, had fuel, had air. Changed the spark plug as suggested by Lynn Edwards and guess what....it tried to start, I am working on the other issues now. Change the plug, even though you have spark it may be weak in the cylinder under compression.

Old 12-23-2010 | 08:30 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!

Adjust the valves too. Hard (or no) starting is a classic symptom of valves that are too tight.

Remember that valves tighten with wear and tighten more when cold, and that valve adjustement is part of periodic maintainence.

You didn't say anything about the history of this quad. I'm assuming it is used? Did you ever see it run?

Old 12-24-2010 | 06:04 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Yes it is used, and no never seen it run. I wouldn't know how to adjust the valves if my life depended on it. any suggestions where to start, i am decent with little motors, just never done that

I will pick up a plug today. we have gotten a pop or two using ether, but nothing more. makes sense that maybe the spark is just too weak.

It turns over strong but still wont kick over... I will try the plug, and look for more info on adjusting the valves (although if you have suggestions i would love to hear them)

Old 12-24-2010 | 10:04 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!

I have a couple 110cc quad manuals that describes the routine maintenance stuff like valve adjustment, clutch adjustment, etc. They won't be for your specific quad, but most chinese quads use identical engines and parts, so most of the info in the manual will also apply to yours.

Send me your email address by private message. I'll return an email with the pdf manuals attached. It is about 5 MBytes total.

I haven't looked, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone has posted up a video procedure on YouTube. I know there are some good repair videos there for GY6 engines.