1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

engine dies

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine dies

I have a E-Ton Yukon 150 that will die while riding and if I shift into n while rolling the engine will fire back up. If I stop and shift into n it will start right back up. I know there are safety switches built in and a low oil switch but I can't find the problem. The carb. has been rebuilt and the gas tank cleaned with a new filter installed. Also has a new sparkplug. I think its one of the switches. Any ideas?

Old 02-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you running out of fuel? Symptoms of this: Quads starts and runs fine. You take off and quad runs great. Then suddenly the quad falters, sputters and dies. Wait a few seconds and it starts right back up, runs for a short while, then the same thing all over again.

If the fuel is only dripping into the carburetor drop by drop the carb will run dry at speed, but as you sit with a stalled engine the carb float bowl is filling back up slowly, but that is enough to get the quad to start again.

Causes are clogged fuel outlet in the tank, plugged filter, kinked fuel hose, bad pet-**** shutoff valve.

Pull off the fuel hose going into the carburetor. Does fuel flow out in a sustained gush, or does it dribble out weakly?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your response. The carb. has been rebuilt and a clear filter has been installed. I can see fuel in the filter and when it dies the float bowl is full. I can open the drain and apply vacume to the petcock and watch fuel flow. The sparkplug is wet when pulled after the engine dies. It has me thinking its a no spark situtation. When the engine dies there is no sputtering or coughing. Its like you hit the cutoff or turned the key off. If I shift into n while rolling the engine fires up. If I stop the engine will start up right away. It should only start in n or with the brake on but I can't find a safety switch in the wiring diagram. I'm going to dive into it today and see what I find. Thanks again.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Found it Bad battery cable. I'm now a happy camper. Thanks