1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Baja Extreme/National Motors ignition

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Baja Extreme/National Motors ignition

Hi,
I've got a few quads that are labeled on the plastic as Baja Extreme 150 and on the motors as National Motors. If I understand it right these were imported by Baja. The problem is that the keyed ignition is gone on them (I got them as a package from an auction house). They are a four pin just like many of the Baja's, but the wires don't match up. If a baja ignition is put in it will short and melt it. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for these or anything that could help me bypass the key all together. These are for farm and family use so it doesn't have to be pretty, just work.
Thanks, Nathan

Old 05-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so you are just sticking with baja parts or are you going to use the generic replacement parts from "other brands"? to me, and you'll need to double check with LYNNEDWARDS or LT80 or mywifesquad, (they're the real experts), a 4 pin/wire, regardless of color of wires, should work. it's just a matter of figuring out the "on", "off", "start", ground positions. i'm sure they'll have a manual or something or some guidance of some sort that'll help you out.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you looked at the quad manuals available for free download at www.bajamotorsports.com to see if any of those match your quad? It would especially nice if you said yes, and it is one of the manuals that include a wiring diagram . We can hope...

But even without a wiring diagram it is still possible to solve...

What are the colors in the wiring harness side at the ignition switch connector?

How many pins on your CDI? What are those colors? Note: If your CDI has wire pigtails, report the colors on the wiring harness side of the CDI connector - not the short pigtail wire colors on the CDI itself which are meaningless.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

I looked through the manuals on Baja's site a couple of times, but didn't find what I needed. I'll re-check more carefully. The ignition switches I was using were generic off of ebay. When I mentioned National Motors to the tech at Baja they were very confused and the numbers didn't match anything they had. I'll go through all of that again here in the next few days and let you know what I find. Thanks,
Nathan

Old 01-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the same atv, baja extreme 150 and it wont start it has spark but it just wont start what should i do

Old 01-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what's the compression reading? sometimes, every now and then, just replacing the spark plug will do the trick. sometimes a spark plug can show spark outside of the cylinder while testing but for some reason, won't spark inside. this has worked out in the past. it's a cheap $3 fix and won't hurt anything. a comparable NGK will suffice.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok thank you i dont know the compression yet

Trending Topics

Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Is it getting gas?
Have you cleaned the carb?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

how do you clean the carb, it is a brand new carb

Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You take it off and take it apart. Removing the jets and cleaning it all out good.
You didn't mention whether it was getting fuel (wet plug) but a good carb cleaning is always helpful and simple enough to do to eliminate that aspect of the problem.

Quick Reply: Baja Extreme/National Motors ignition