1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

I think I made a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I made a mistake

I traded my pocket bike for a Coolster 110cc atv. My pocket bike ran but this atv does not. I thought the atv would be worth more money. Anyway the previous owner of the atv lost the key and tore apart the ignition switch to try and hot wire it and the battery is missing. I ordered a 6 wire Chinese ignition switch off amazon and also bought a 12 volt 8amp battery. I turn the key and press the starter and lights and nothing turns on. Ive been trying to use my volt meter to test what is getting power but im not sure what I should be testing.
Anyone got any ideas?

Old 08-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptinApple
I traded my pocket bike for a Coolster 110cc atv. My pocket bike ran but this atv does not. I thought the atv would be worth more money. Anyway the previous owner of the atv lost the key and tore apart the ignition switch to try and hot wire it and the battery is missing. I ordered a 6 wire Chinese ignition switch off amazon and also bought a 12 volt 8amp battery. I turn the key and press the starter and lights and nothing turns on. Ive been trying to use my volt meter to test what is getting power but im not sure what I should be testing.
Anyone got any ideas?
engage the left handlebar brake handle, i believe your quad has a safety interlock on that brake switch, the brake light may not work, but it is the switch that needs to work. you should hear a "tink" at the handlebar if it is working. if the battery is hot/charged, you should have >12 going to the starter, is the solenoid working? if not, leave key switch on, with handlebar brake, and jump the posts. be careful, as if the quad starts, it possible the quad may move if the brakes are not set/engaged.
is there an inline fuse coming off of the positive side of the battery? if so, is the fuse intact and good? there's a start for you....

Old 08-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!! The Brake needed to be engaged and she started crankin!! Now the next problem I have is it only runs when the choke is pulled all the way out. I think it might be the fuel line from the tank because it comes down and then up to the top of the carb and I dont think the fuel is getting in there.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

there are two small jets in the carb that have to be cleaned manually. use compressed air after you've used aerosol carb cleaner. the little orifices you see in the pic have to be cleaned and you should see daylight through them. also, look down the jets longways, like down your kids' throat. you should also see daylight. use small gauge wire or an oxy-acetylene torch tip cleaner pack to rod out the orifices. it sounds like the pilot jet is clogged/plugged because it does run with choke engaged. below is a hyperlink that shows you how to clean a carb and shows jet removal. the carb in the video may not be identical to yours, but the concept is the same. in the pic above, even the little orifices on the side of the jet needs to be clean so as to see through them. good luck, report back if you have anymore problems..

‪how to clean a carb on a ATV‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

I rode it around a little bit and it started running better. Now I'm noticing there is an engine bolt missing, the front left tire had 3 different type of bolts, and the back axle is crooked so the chain keeps coming off. The previous abused the hell out of this thing.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

how about it Capt? did you get the chain straight?
this is what your chain tensioners may look like. should be 2 of them on the rear axle. adjustment should be self explanatory. moving the axle shouldn't be a problem either. i think

Old 09-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

is that a good web site to order parts from?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes it isss

Old 10-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

so Capt, i presume we got you all fixed up now? . let us know......