1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Help with a Western Auto ATV

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:26 PM
KB2
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a Western Auto ATV

(I posted this in the kids quads also)
oops, just read rule number 3 about double posting, sorry

Hello everyone.

I am fixing a 2002, Western Auto quad, model ATV90X10, (Chinese ATV). It has a 90cc, 2 stroke engine. I was told that "Squirrels" ate the wiring harness, but I think the "squirrel" walks on 2 legs and weights about 180lbs or so. Anyway, the owner bought a used wiring harness to replace the old one but it is not even close to fitting. (I was handed the old wiring harness, in pieces, wadded up in a Zip-lock bag.) I have been able to reassemble the old harness back together, but now I have no spark. I do not have the voltage regulator (it is fried) hooked up, but the battery is hooked up and everything else works. I need someone to check my hook up of the CDI. My CDI has 5 wires: black/red, blue/white, green, (these three wires are loose with their own plug connections), then black, and black/white wire which are in a 2 pin plug.

Currently I have them hooked up as follows:
black/red - black/red of stator
blue/white - blue/white of stator (pulse generator)
black - ground
black/white - kill switch (ground in "Run")
green - coil
These all follow the wire color codes of the rest of the bike.

I have checked the coil, plug wire, and the plug. The stator metered OK. I get 4 - 6 volts on the 2 AC charge wires. 50 -70 volts on the ignition (black/red). The pulse signal (blue/white) is about .6 volts. These are with me turning it over using my hand with the kick starter.

Any suggestions?

Is there a way to check a CDI?

Bruce

Old 09-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know anything about this quad. So I'm just making some educated guesses...

The green wire for the output of the CDI to the coil I've never seen before. Green is usually ground. Is the coil primary input wire really green? If you disconnect the CDI and measure the reistance of the green wire to engine ground, what resistance do you get? Other than the green wire the rest of your connections seem pretty standard.

Also, be sure to measure the harness blue/white wire resistance to ground at the CDI connector (CDI unplugged). Measureing the AC voltage is not a good enough test by itself. Often an open trigger coil will allow a small AC voltage to appear on the trigger wire due to stray capacitance to adjacent wires in the harness. You're looking for something like 150 ohms.

Measure the resistance of the black wire at the cdi connector to engine ground. It should be zero ohms.

Are you sure about the kill switch connection being grounded in the "run" state? Some quads are like this, while others have the spark killed when this wire is grounded. I would try kicking over the engine both with the kill wire grounded and open.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:26 AM
KB2
Weekend Warrior

The green wire for the output of the CDI to the coil I've never seen before. Green is usually ground. Is the coil primary input wire really green? I agree, it usually is, but the only green wire on the quad is the one on the coil.If you disconnect the CDI and measure the reistance of the green wire to engine ground, what resistance do you get? Other than the green wire the rest of your connections seem pretty standard.I can see both ends of the green wire that hooks to the CDI. The coil even has a green terminal on it. The green wire from the CDI connection to ground has about 4 or less ohms to ground. This is what I read when I check through only the coil.

Also, be sure to measure the harness blue/white wire resistance to ground at the CDI connector (CDI unplugged). Measureing the AC voltage is not a good enough test by itself. Often an open trigger coil will allow a small AC voltage to appear on the trigger wire due to stray capacitance to adjacent wires in the harness. You're looking for something like 150 ohms. This maybe the problem I got infinite ohms when I just checked it. (It was OK before.) And it is still putting out .4-.6 volts

Measure the resistance of the black wire at the cdi connector to engine ground. It should be zero ohms.The black wire that hooks to the CDI connector is zero ohms to the engine and frame. I checked.

Are you sure about the kill switch connection being grounded in the "run" state? I am sure, I checked it several times. I expected it to be open in "run" and grounded in "off".Some quads are like this, while others have the spark killed when this wire is grounded. I would try kicking over the engine both with the kill wire grounded and open.I already tried that too.

If the green wire is ground then which one goes to the coil?

Old 09-14-2011, 12:51 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My responses in red:

Originally Posted by KB2
The green wire for the output of the CDI to the coil I've never seen before. Green is usually ground. Is the coil primary input wire really green? I agree, it usually is, but the only green wire on the quad is the one on the coil. [Fair enough. Green it is...] If you disconnect the CDI and measure the reistance of the green wire to engine ground, what resistance do you get? Other than the green wire the rest of your connections seem pretty standard.I can see both ends of the green wire that hooks to the CDI. The coil even has a green terminal on it. The green wire from the CDI connection to ground has about 4 or less ohms to ground. This is what I read when I check through only the coil. [Wow. I've never seen a coil primary resistance that high. But on the other and I've never seen a quad like yours. Hmmm. Let's keep this in mind as we accumulate more data... Maybe it's OK, or maybe it's not...]

Also, be sure to measure the harness blue/white wire resistance to ground at the CDI connector (CDI unplugged). Measureing the AC voltage is not a good enough test by itself. Often an open trigger coil will allow a small AC voltage to appear on the trigger wire due to stray capacitance to adjacent wires in the harness. You're looking for something like 150 ohms. This maybe the problem I got infinite ohms when I just checked it. (It was OK before.) And it is still putting out .4-.6 volts [This is a *BIG* red flag. I would start here. The trigger pickup coil is just a length of copper wire wound around a magnet. It should *not ever* read open. Double check this. If it still reads open then all indicators are pointing at this being the problem. If it reads 150 ohms or so upon retest then OK - we'll back up one step and proceed from there. If it reads open again then you've most likely found the problem. Repeat the ohms measurment down at the wires going into the stator. If it is still open there than your stator pickup coil is bad.]

Measure the resistance of the black wire at the cdi connector to engine ground. It should be zero ohms.The black wire that hooks to the CDI connector is zero ohms to the engine and frame. I checked. [I agree.]

Are you sure about the kill switch connection being grounded in the "run" state? I am sure, I checked it several times. I expected it to be open in "run" and grounded in "off". [I agree again. You've done your homework .] Some quads are like this, while others have the spark killed when this wire is grounded. I would try kicking over the engine both with the kill wire grounded and open.I already tried that too.

If the green wire is ground then which one goes to the coil? [I'm thinking from your responses that you are probably right about the green wire. Green is the coil primary, however uncommon that is. The trigger coil is the first item of business, we'll come back to this issue if necessary...]

Old 09-14-2011, 02:20 AM
KB2
Weekend Warrior

Lynn
Just to let you know a little of my back ground, I am an retired Air Force aircraft avionics technician, with my Airframe and Powerplant license. I have experience dealing in all sorts of mechanical and electrical systems on heavy equipment, aircraft, automobiles, boats, motorcycles, appliances and many others. (reading this sound like I am bragging )

I thought the 4 ohms was a little high also, so I did some checking and found the four ohms through the coil is because the batteries in my meter were low. I just replaced them and now it is about .4 ohm. The pulse generator is still infinite ohms.

I agree the pulse generator is a good place to start now that I caught it screwing up and will see about getting a replacement.

PS: I too like high voltage though I prefer it in a shower. LOL

Bruce

Old 09-14-2011, 12:23 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by KB2
(reading this sound like I am bragging )
Im kinda wondering why you cant fix it yourself.. just kidding...

Welcome to the forum KB2!

Old 09-14-2011, 02:29 PM
KB2
Weekend Warrior

mywifesquad

I thought I could, but this has been kicking my butt. I usually have some kind of reference to work from, (wiring diagrams, schematics, technical manuals, etc) to guide me. Even when I deal with something strange I usually find something that I can use. This quad does not seem to conform to anything I have been able to find. I had to basically build a wiring harness for this thing. I used about five different diagrams to piece it together. Not to difficult, but I can not get the CDI to work. So now I have resorted to my last reference "the guy down the street" or in this case the internet.

I have learned 2 very important things over the years: first, to work smart, not hard, second, to learn from other people's experiences. It is usually lot less painful and always cheaper.

Bruce

Old 09-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Heck, with that type of background, scrap the motor that's in there and replace it with a F119-PW-100.

Might want to keep the kids off it, and watch out for that first corner.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:58 PM
KB2
Weekend Warrior

I would except you suck up everything around you and when you go to full power all the kids in the neighborhood line the street holding long sticks with marshmallows and hot dogs on them for when you go by. Then there is the problem of the way the rider is positioned on the engine (which gets very warm). I kind of like that area of my anatomy un-roasted.

Bruce

Old 11-22-2011, 01:55 AM
KB2
Weekend Warrior
Default Its alive!!!!!

Well finally got the right magneto coil assembly. I had to change a couple of wires on my CDI. but I finally got it started and it runs great. Thanks for the help. I would post a diagram of how I wired this if I knew how.

Quick Reply: Help with a Western Auto ATV