1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Peace ATV Voltage Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lstatzer
No but the brake light activates normally once the engine is running. I'll scan the wiring diagram this afternoon and drop it to you. Lynn please send me a private message with your email and I'll send it directly to you.
Thanks,
Got the wiring diagram.

The fact that the brake light works normally when the engine is running (but not when the ignition is on and the engine is stopped) is a big clue.

Noramlly when the engine is running the charging system will be feeding power onto the 12 volt supply bus. In fact what is does is raise the 12 volt bus up to 13.5 to 14.5 volts DC - above the 12.6 volt battery voltage - which powers all the 12 volt stuff off the stator and regulator (and feeds some current backwards through the battery to charge it back up).

The fact that your battery does not connect through to the 12 volt bus when trying to start the quad (no headlights, no brake light, no click from the starter solenoid, etc.), but everything *does* work when the engine is running and being powered off the charging system (stator and voltage regulator), suggest that you have a break in the wiring between the battery and the voltage regulator.

According to the wiring diagram you sent me, these two points are connected to each other through a fuse. If this wiring diagram is correct then you have a blown fuse, or the wires to or from the fuse are broken. Its time to take a very careful look in this area.

Often published wiring diagram are way wrong. So be a little prepared for that in case it happens. We can figure it out as we go if necessary...

So with the quad engine stopped, measure the DC voltage to engine ground at the following places:

1) At one end of the fuse
2) At the other end of the fuse
3) At the red wire on the voltage regulator...
A) With the ignition switch off ...
B) and with the ignition switch on
4) At the red wire on the ignition switch
5) At the black wire of the ignition switch with the ignition switch on

What do you get for these 6 measurements?

Old 09-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by dar866horse
it doesn't make sense to me either.the wires are not burnt or discoloured when I was trying to troubleshoot the problem[the fuse has never blown either].the first time it would not start i bought a new battery because i thought it had fouled and it would not start.then i took the plastic body off and could then see that the regulator was melted ,so i bought a new one.installed it and it fired up. i put the old battery back in and it still fired up.made no sense , but it worked so i stopped investigating. grandson is still riding it ,but not as often,as it is at my house.only rode about 2 hrs this summer and i have not looked at the regulator because it still starts and runs.
as you said it makes no sense but it seems to work,
As long as it starts and runs then keep riding...

If it acts up again get a meter ready and we'll dig into it.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found it. A crimp had cut the fuse wire and it was only making momentary contact. Problem solved Thank you all for your help

Old 09-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by lstatzer
Found it. A crimp had cut the fuse wire and it was only making momentary contact. Problem solved Thank you all for your help
You're welcome for the help. Glad you got it going...

Old 10-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110cc Peace Sports

When I bought my PS 110cc I had to basically re wire the whole thing as a
small fire started when the stock rear left turn signal bulb holder wires melted and burned the rubber ! I disconnected front and rear lights. Also, soon the atv would not start and problem was in rain the key slot leaks and the key action becomes intermittent as well as intermittent left handle bar emergency kill switch also becomes intermittent. All is well now. For $650 are I cannot complain. I have been looking at more expensive ATVs but few are as lightweight as the PS 110cc which I haul using a hitch mounted ATV carrier: Versa-Haul. By the way, I often change the spark plug.

Thanks,
Patrick