1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Massimo 250 atv ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massimo 250 atv ignition switch

Hi All,
New Massimo China 4 wheeler with less than 5 hours on it and I have already replaced the ignition switch twice. Dealer does not have a clue why they are burning up... any ideas from the forum.

Thanks... MG

Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How many wires does your ignition switch have? And what are the colors? Four wires is the most common. The following assumes the most common 4 wire switch:

Check your fuse value. It should be about 10 amps. If it is 10 amps, and it is not blowing a lot, then your ignition switches are not failing because of excess current going through them - because the fuse would blow first. So it has to be something mechanical (like crappy switches), or maybe the problem isn't the ignition switch at all.

So what is the story here.... How did you determine the ignition switch is bad? What were the symptoms upon failure? No power to 12 volt stuff like lights and displays (if you have one of these)? No starter cranking? Or is it that you have no spark?

How do the failures occur? While riding in motion? After stopping the quad and then it won't start again? Only when the quad is warm, or only when the quad has sat overnight and is cold? The more information the better...

Do you have a wiring diagram fro this quad? I don't. A wiring diagram could make things a lot easier, but it is not absolutely necessary. You will need a meter though...

Old 10-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Lynn,
Thanks for looking at this. This is a Massimo 250 ATV. I do not have a manual. I have been trying to get one since I bought the bike. The plug is 4 prong. I am not blowing any fuses but I have not checked the fuse value, I will this afternoon. I took it back to the dealer after about 3 hours on the machine. He troubleshot the machine, unplugged the harness to the ignition switch, shorted the terminals inside and it worked. He replaced the ignition switch and it ran and started fine for a few hours. What happens is this. I can strart the machine and it runs fine but when what ever happens..... happens, it will not do anything. No power, no lights, nothing. I watched him replace the ignition switch last time and it started right up. Thank God I did. This time I was in the middle of the woods when it happened.

I unplugged the wire harness to the ignition switch, shorted the connectors on the inside, that gave me power and lights and I could start the machine. As long as I do not turn it off or it does not die, it runs fine.

Any ideas? Thanks... Mike

Old 10-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Matrixxdg
Hi Lynn,
Thanks for looking at this. This is a Massimo 250 ATV. I do not have a manual. I have been trying to get one since I bought the bike. The plug is 4 prong. I am not blowing any fuses but I have not checked the fuse value, I will this afternoon. I took it back to the dealer after about 3 hours on the machine. He troubleshot the machine, unplugged the harness to the ignition switch, shorted the terminals inside and it worked. He replaced the ignition switch and it ran and started fine for a few hours. What happens is this. I can strart the machine and it runs fine but when what ever happens..... happens, it will not do anything. No power, no lights, nothing. I watched him replace the ignition switch last time and it started right up. Thank God I did. This time I was in the middle of the woods when it happened.

I unplugged the wire harness to the ignition switch, shorted the connectors on the inside, that gave me power and lights and I could start the machine. As long as I do not turn it off or it does not die, it runs fine.

Any ideas? Thanks... Mike
Also Lynn. I read your response on the JVC 150 write up you did, GREAT information.
http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...ether-but.html

I tried this and it cranked up with no issues. It just pisses me off that a brand new quad has to be jeri-rigged like this to work. Should I try a new ignition switch from a big name brand and see if that works and keep my little toggle switch in my bag for emergencies. If so, can you recommend a brand of switch.

Could I possibley burn something up using the toggle switch?

Thanks..Mike

Old 10-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matrixxdg
...Could I possibley burn something up using the toggle switch?...
No. A switch is a switch. But your need to make sure the switch can handle the required voltage and current. You can't use a little teeny toggle switch to switch the starter motor on and off directly. It would burn up trying to pass that much current. You can't use an ordinary switch to switch a 3000 volt signal - even is the required current is just micro amps. The switch would arc across the switch gap. These are the two extremes....

But your ignition switch only has to switch low voltage (12 volts DC), and moderately low current (like 10 amps maximum). So if your toggle switch can handle 10 amps of current (all switches can handle 12 volts) then you're fine.

But as far as getting a name brand ignition switch...

I wouldn't. My chinese ignition switch works fine. Always has through probably 1000's of cycles. I suspect your dealer bought a bunch of these switches - all from the same bad batch - and they all have the same defect inside. Buy a switch that looks the same but from a different source. This is a generic part used on many different quads. There a numerous sources such as eBay, numerous internet quad part vendors such as the sponsor of this group (Mainstreet Motorsports).

Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Lynn,
Thanks for your help on this... your knowledge is invaluable.

MG