1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Kasea 250cc Start problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kasea 250cc Start problem

Maybe i can get some help here.

I have a Kasea 250cc. It wouldn't stay running at idle, so we parked it.
3 days later we went to start it, and now it doesn't even turn over.

We stripped it down. It has spark, we can manually turn crank. it has compression, and we are spraying fuel directly into both carburetors, and we still can't get it to turn over.

We can get the starter to turn and it just keeps turning and turning, but it never fires and tries to start.

could there be a safety mechanism that i am unaware of ?

I think i used to have to lock the front break before i could start it. Now if i lock the front break, the starter doesn't engage at all??
We also tried to push start it, still never fires.

Any suggestions are awesome.Thanks guys.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I am completely unfamiliar with your quad.

The only safety interlock mechanisms I'm aware of will prevent the starter from turning. None prevent the engine from starting if you make the starter turn.

Kill switches can prevent the engine from starting, but don't keep the starter from turning. Kill switches work by killing spark, but you say you have spark.

Did you check for spark at both plugs?

Thus we're down to problems other than safety interlocks and kill switches.

Rather than squirting fuel into the carburetor, what about letting the quad dry out for a few hours and then crank the starter for a 10 seconds. Remove the spark plugs quickly and see if they are wet with fuel. If it doesn't try dribbling a 1/4 teaspoon of fresh known good fuel directly into the cylinders and put the plugs back in. Crank and see if any hint of firing.

Try cranking for a while with wide open throttle with the fuel petcock shut off to see if perhaps you have too much gas coming in. At WOT you're letting a lot more air in to lean out a possible over rich mixture.

Try choking the carburetor(s) to see if that makes any difference.

After that I would get a timing light and check the ignition timing to see if it is way out of whack. It is not adjustable, but if it is wrong it indicates a problem that can be looked into further if necessary.

Then check compression with a compression gauge.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:41 AM
Range Rover

Lynn, this sounds like the same type setup I had on the Yamoto 250 (V-twin 2 cylinder engine--Honda CMX250 engine to be exact).

mab9981,

Even if you are getting spark, it could be a weak spark. But do the checks Lynn suggests and lets go from there. I had (just sold today) a Yamoto 250cc V-twin quad that I went through a bunch of troubleshooting/learning with a starting problem, so I may be able to assist as well pending your results from Lynn's suggestions. I ended up replacing the carb on it after fixing my No Spark problem.....coulnd't find a rebuild kit for it--new carb was $240 from here--->Carburetor for 250cc Twin Cylinder Chinese Atvs Dirt Bikes - Ca279-30 - 150cc - 250cc Carburetors

Old 10-17-2011, 06:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you so much guys. I'll try tackling it at some point this week and try to get back here with results.