1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Help please with I guess chinese atv

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please with I guess chinese atv

I just became an owner of a chinese atv i think? No name on it except for Tao Tao on the engine cover. I am having problems getting it started, spark, no spark, then no spark again. Tried different things I've read on these forums but dont know If I'm doing things right. I am new to this whole fourwheeler life style. Any help will be welcomed, I am a diesel mechanic so good with tools and hands just need some guidence.
Thanks,
Chad h.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First step is to see if your CDI is DC powered or AC powered.

How many pins are on your CDI? Five or four?

I'm assuming this is the 110cc quad?

If not, then it's possible you may have a 6 pin CDI (2 pin and 4 pin connector)...

Old 10-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP please

The cdi has 5 pins. I disconnected the blk/wht wire and started getting fire ,it was a good spark then lost it and cant get it back. I understand that this wire is related to the safety system. I also have done a comp. test on it and it didnt look good only about 40psi. Ive seen the quad run before i ended up with it and it really hauled butt, so i really didnt think that the engine had comp. problems. Like I said when it comes to this small stuff I'm really clueless. Thanks again for your help

Old 10-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chad h
The cdi has 5 pins. I disconnected the blk/wht wire and started getting fire ,it was a good spark then lost it and cant get it back. I understand that this wire is related to the safety system. I also have done a comp. test on it and it didnt look good only about 40psi. Ive seen the quad run before i ended up with it and it really hauled butt, so i really didnt think that the engine had comp. problems. Like I said when it comes to this small stuff I'm really clueless. Thanks again for your help
The kill switch wire is not really part of a safety system unless you list the ability to turn the quad off a safety device. You turn the running quad engine off by killing the spark. If the spark is killed you can also prevent a quad from starting up.

The normal safety interlock schemes keep you from turning the starter motor unless the brakes are applied (or you're in neutral, or you're clutch is pulled in, or any combination of these). It's the same idea as the system that keeps you from starting up your car in drive...

40 PSI is not good. You need to fix that first.