1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Install Starter On 110cc

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install Starter On 110cc

After pulling the starter out not knowing if it was good or bad, I can't figure out how to get it back in. Even after charging the battery it would not turn over like it was dead.

The only way I can see putting it back on is to take the cover off the opposite side so I can see how to do it.

Will I need to drain the oil to do this?

Is there any other warnings I need to be aware of?

And lastly,I put Rotella oil in it (don't know the weight off hand), can I put that back in it or should I go with a motorcycle oil?

Old 11-24-2011, 12:25 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know the answer. I've never owned a 110cc quad, but I seem to recall that you need to take off both left/right engine covers to install the starter motor. Don't quote me on this - I've never done it...

Old 11-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Trailblazer

OK, so I drained the oil and took the cover off on the other side and I didn't need to drain it, but I've haven't change it since the first oil change back when I first got it, I'm sure it needed one any way.

After we first the starter back on it turned over some but now makes a clicking sound.
I must tell you guys that I have a small lawn mower battery hooked up to it, I don't know if that's too much amperage.

Now the other thing is, when the battery is hook up the starter get hot. It's either getting hot because of 1) Power is getting supplied all the time because of some kind of short or 2) It's getting hot when I press the starter button.
Those are the things I can think of, any other ideas are very welcome, and I hope my explaining it doesn't cause too much confusion.

The other things it could be are a bad battery (even though Advance Auto said it was good, just needs charging) or the starter is bad.Could a bad connection the wires or starter button be the problem?

Old 11-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have you measured the battery's voltage while sitting there unhooked from the quad? then measure the voltage when it is wired to the quad. then measure the voltage when you are cranking/trying to start the quad.
clicking? that could be a bad solenoid or a "low" battery. that's why we need to measure what the battery is doing before, during and after a start/crank. the starter should warm up while being used but not get hot. if it's getting hot, it could be from a malfunctioning solenoid sending voltage all of the time to it. hmmm....Lynn would know that answer.
if anything, jumping from a lawn mower battery would be fine if it was running. it ain't going to hurt to jump it from your car/truck battery like a normal vehicle. i've done that a few times. just, if the quad starts, unhook the jumper cables as you would normally do for vehicles.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Trailblazer

No I haven't, I don't know what the voltage is suppose to be. After Advance said it was good, and then they put it on a charge for motorcycle batteries for a couple hours and said it still showed good but it really needed to be slow charged, I do have it on a 1.5 amp maintenance charger. It will charge till it's full then a green light will come on. I'm just going to leave on it till the green light shows up before I try to crank it with it.

Fixin to go to my parents house, so I have to check be later, Thanks.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no problem. just check it with your multimeter/ohm meter to show the volts. should be 12.3 volts or better just sitting there. when the engine is running, should be 13.5 volts or better to show that the charging system is functional.