1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Weak spark, how to test, and identify quad

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak spark, how to test, and identify quad

I have aquired a quad bike, no idea what make/model it is, I was told its a Kazuma, but cant confirm. The engine number is 1pe52qmg which accoring to a website i found makes it a 100cc two stroke. Its in good condition and looks like a decent bit of kit, but it doesnt run....

.....compressions seems ok, and the carb/fueling I am happy with after a stip down and clean out, It have never fired ever, not even once, i even tried it with some easy start, so I am looking at the ignition.

It does spark if turned over quickly (using an electric drill) without a spark plug in, but if you drop the speed down of the drill then the sparking becomes intermittant and at slow speed (turned over quickly by hand) there is very irratic sparks and they "look" very weak and thin.

So, what is the most likely cause? stator? magnets in the flywheel gone weak? or coil pack and how can I test each bit?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

start with a new spark plug properly gapped. let's eliminate a double grounding on the old one when it's inserted. try turning it over with the new plug outside and check for spark. then insert it and crank it!

Old 11-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Jaster94
start with a new spark plug properly gapped. let's eliminate a double grounding on the old one when it's inserted. try turning it over with the new plug outside and check for spark. then insert it and crank it!
thanks, i have tried a new plug, same thing

Old 11-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Since this is a mystery quad, what sort of ignition system do you have? Is it CDI based, or something else? Is this quad electric start, or pull rope/kickstart only? When you say that the spark becomes intermittent or non existant at lower spin speeds, how would you say that threshold speed compares to normal cranking speed, or pull rope/kickstart speeds (as the case may be)? Have you checked for spark while using standard methods of turning the engine (crank/pull rope/kick start)? Do you get consistent spark then?

Old 11-27-2011, 02:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

its fixed!

I had to make a tool to pull the flywheel off, then took the stator off (behind the flywheel) and it was all corroded where it attached to the engine casting, cleaned that up with a file, put it back on, fired up instantly!

Thanks

Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm glad you got it running