1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Kazuma Oil Change / Gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kazuma Oil Change / Gear oil

I recently bought a Kazuma, have no idea what model it is. I posted pics here and no one ever answered.
http://forums.atvconnection.com/tech...p-id-quad.html
I'm sure I have a Gy6 engine and I downloaded a user manual and I want to perform an oil change and transmission (gear oil change).

According to the manual I just drain oil, replace plug and fill oil in the dip stick area, is that it? oh and clean the screen / filter. I was told to use Royal Purple 20w50?
Please advise

Also, I would like to change out the trans oil / gear oil (as they call) is it pretty much the same process as the oil? just drain and replace with 80-90 weight trans fluid?
Please advise

Lastly,
I would love to replace the fuel filter on it as well. it seems simple enough but just want to make sure how to do it as it doesn't say in my manual.
Please advise

If you know of any place I can get an fuel filter please let me know

Thanks in advance

Old 11-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ezhoops
I recently bought a Kazuma, have no idea what model it is. I posted pics here and no one ever answered.

There's not much to go on in your picture. To identify the engine we need to be able to see the engine .

SO you have a GY6 engine. That's very good because there is a ton of service info out there for these engines downloadable for free. Just to be sure: A GY6 engine is fully automatic with CVT belt drive. The cylinder cooling fins are surrounded with plastic shrouds that form the walls of a forced air cooling system...

Just a few of many, many links:
http://www.familygokarts.com/manuals...ice_manual.pdf
http://www.hondaspree.net/other/GY6_...air_Manual.pdf
GY6 Service Manual

Note that these manuals work for scooters, buggies, and/or quads because they are the same engine.

...According to the manual I just drain oil, replace plug and fill oil in the dip stick area, is that it? oh and clean the screen / filter. I was told to use Royal Purple 20w50?
Please advise...
I use 10W40 oil in my GY6 quad. The procedure is just as you describe. It takes a little less than a quart.

...Also, I would like to change out the trans oil / gear oil (as they call) is it pretty much the same process as the oil? just drain and replace with 80-90 weight trans fluid?...

I've never bothered to change my final transmission oil. After 2500 miles I suppose I should. There's a drain screw well documented in the free downloadable service manuals. You drain it out the bottom and then fill it with a gear oil pump through another plug on the side of the engine. On my quad it is underneath the CVT side cover. On most GY6 quads it is exposed without having to take of the cover. If I recall correctly the final transmission takes less than a cup of oil. I don't remember what the oil weight should be. 80-90 weight sounds right - but check with the service manual(s).

...Lastly, I would love to replace the fuel filter on it as well. it seems simple enough but just want to make sure how to do it as it doesn't say in my manual.
Please advise

If you know of any place I can get an fuel filter please let me know

Thanks in advance

I changed my fuel filter because it was leaking. My replacement came from eBay, but I would think any quad vendor would have what you need. This is pretty much a generic part.