1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Pilot Jet Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot Jet Cleaning

Hello all. My daughter's 75cc chinese atv sat for some time so now I have to clean the carb. It was very dirty and I was able to get everything clean but am having questions/problems with the pilot jet. I was able to get all the tiny ports clean but it appears to have a hole running through it lengthwise. I cant get it clean. I soaked it for a while and even tried to push a welding torch tip cleaner through it but it wont budge. Can someone confirm that there is a hole running the entire length of the jet and maybe give me an idea how to clean it. I can probably get a pic if necessary.

Thanks,
flynpa

Old 01-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here's a pic. I hope.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer

There is in fact a hole that passes all the way through like the main jet. I just went through this Friday with my ATV it was clogged horribly bad! I tried everything and eventually used a very fine drill bit to drill out the gunk... I've learned from reading now that this may have been a bad idea so your options are buying a new jet, try soaking it a bit longer, try compressed air (just be sure not to shoot the jet across your garage haha). I tried a thin but strong bristle from a large wire brush and didn't work for me but it may for you. Like I said drilling it out may not be the best idea but if worse came to worse and you need to order a new jet anyways, you could always try it.... As long as you have a replacement jet on the way I don't see where you could go wrong!

Let me say though that I'm not an ATV expert in any way, I'm quite the opposite. I'm having an issue with my ATV not idleing correctly and having trouble starting after riding a while but I don't think it's related to my pilot jet being drilled as it ran the same way before my pilot jet was drilled....But again, I'd try any other method before resorting to this and only resort to this if you have another jet on the way as it may not work out for ya. You wont damage the ATV in anyway, it just wont run correctly if drilled out to much.

Again, I'd wait for some other replies before doing anything further, I just figured I'd offer up what I know. Thanks and good luck hope ya get it running for her!

-Mike

Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, been there, I have had success with a wire strand from a wire brush, the trick is to clamp onto it with a vice grip, then spin the jet on it as you work at the blockage, it will eventually "drill" its way through, then you can get carb cleaner in there to hose out the rest of it. That way you are sure not to change or damage the original diameter of the pilot, which would greatly affect idling and starting, possibly.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies. I have pretty much tried all of that. My next thought was also to drill it out with a jewelers bit. I let you guys know what happens.

flynpa

Old 01-23-2012, 09:07 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

a .015(1/64") dia should work well..

Old 01-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I tried to be as careful as possible and the tiny jewelers bit was doing a good job but then it broke off inside. I couldn't get it out. Had to order a rebuild kit. Thanks everyone.