1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

going to look at bike tomorrow quick question electrical

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to look at bike tomorrow quick question electrical

Going to check out a bike for my nephew tomorrow. While it's not an ATV I figured the wiring is basically the same. It's a X22 super pocket bike 110cc auto.

The issue is he said it ran fine up until he hit a pot hole and I'm assuming he dumped it. He said the battery is new but when the electric start button is hit nothing happens.

I'm just looking for things to troubleshoot when I go check it out. I know I could use a screwdriver to jump the solenoid. But looking for options if that doesn't work.... I know how to check for spark I just want to make sure the motor isn't locked and starter isn't dead.

Not sure how 110s are wired, if I brought my ATVs battery which I know is good and attached a jumper cable from the battery +/- to the starter + and frame ground would this be a safe way to check the starter? Would the bike run if jumped this way? just as a test so I can check spark.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-31-2012, 08:10 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Id look for a loose wire connection.. maybe the fuse?

Old 01-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would just jump your battery to the existing quad battery and then short across the solenoid to turn the starter motor. Since this bypasses the starter/brake switch safety interlock be sure to set the brakes and put it in neutral first.

If the quad has a five pin CDI (AC powered), and you turn all the kill switches into the "run" position, you should have spark and the quad should start up even if there is a break in the 12 volt power bus somewhere.

If you have a four pin CDI (DC powered) then you will not have spark unless there is 12 volts at the CDI power pin.

As MWQ said, check the fuse. Also turn on the ignition switch and apply the brakes. Do you see the brake light lit up? If not the starter/brake interlock will not allow the starter to turn with the start button.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man bring a multi meter with you that has the continuity test (shows if 2 wires are connected) this will speed up your search for a loose wire or blown fuse. but by the sound of it just stopping when he hit the hole it could easily be a loose wire. shame its not a manual that you could tow/push start.
best of luck to you.