1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Newbie help desperate on a Jetmoto 110

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will take the carb off again and see what I can find in there. I have done the spray carb cleaner all around the carb and on all the mating surfaces thing and have found no evidence of an air leak. I thought the same thing with it running lean... but it has been intermittent. It ran OK for a while... after having this issue. Now it has the issues again. The fuel filter looks perfect too.

My nephew and I have BOTH replaced the coil. so we have done that 2 times.

I reversed the wires from how he had them and the quad would still run when the coil was grounded tot he frame, but you could still see a spark, and it changed HOW it ran. The idle was a little slower when it was grounded than when it was not.

The new coil I have wired with the wires matched up by color. I guess I could switch them... and test again.

Is it possible that there is a short in the stator or something? I'd think that would make it NOT run... but like I said... electrical gremlins baffle me.

Jabba

Old 03-09-2012, 02:40 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabba
I will take the carb off again and see what I can find in there.
Ive cleaned carbs a few hundred times in my life.. about 10 of those times I saw something..

110cc carbs have small holes in them and even smaller holes in the jets.. You need to see light thru the pilot jet, main jet and side holes in the main jet holder..

You also need to remove the fuel screw and be able to spray compressed air or carb cleaner into it and have it come out in the float area... if it hits you in the face its plugged...

Old 03-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

All right... I am doing that tonight or tomorrow.

Any thoughts about the coil arcing and the quad quitting?

That CAN'T be right can it?

Jabba

Old 03-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

...My nephew and I have BOTH replaced the coil. so we have done that 2 times.

I reversed the wires from how he had them and the quad would still run when the coil was grounded tot he frame, but you could still see a spark, and it changed HOW it ran. The idle was a little slower when it was grounded than when it was not.

The new coil I have wired with the wires matched up by color. I guess I could switch them... and test again.....
This does not sound right. I need some more info:

1) How many pins on your CDI connector? Is it four or five?
2) What are the wire colors in your harness that connects to the CDI?
3) What are the wire colors that connect to your ignition coil. Please note that if your coil has short pigtail wires coming out of it going to the main wiring harness via a connector, I want the "harness" side wire colors - not the "pigtail" side colors (assuming they are different).

The thing that is strange to me is that the primary side of the ignition coil has two connections: Ground, and the wire that is driven from the output of the CDI. The ground connection is usually also connected to the coil mounting bolt holes. So if it is wired right then bolting it to the frame is just connecting ground to ground - which shouldn't matter of course. You report sparks with coil inputs normal and reversed. That is strange and wrong.

Do you have a meter? If not you're going to need one. Set the meter to read resistance on the lowest scale you have. Unbolt the ignition coil from the frame (so it is isolated). Measure the following (ignition switch off):

A) Wire 1 to wire 2 at the ignition coil. (I don't have colors from you yet). You should see a very low resistance (less than 1 ohm usually, but not zero ohms). What do you measure?
B) Measure wire 1 (what is that color?) to your bolt hole ground. Use the same low resistance scale. What do you measure?
C) Measure wire 2 (what is the color?) to our bolt hole ground using the same low resistance scale. What do you measure?
D) With your ignition coil plugged into the wiring harness measure the resistance of the bolt hole on your ignition coil to engine/frame ground. What do your measure?
E) Finally, Take your meter leads and short them together on the same low resistance scale. It should read zero ohms, but often meters are out of calibration and don't read zero. What do you measure? This value will help me remove some meter based measurement errors from the results.

...Is it possible that there is a short in the stator or something? I'd think that would make it NOT run... but like I said... electrical gremlins baffle me.

Jabba

Not likely. The stator is certainly involved in the ignition system, but it does stuff far away from the coil problems you are describing. On an AC powered CDI the stator provides power to the CDI, and it provides a trigger signal to the CDI telling it when to fire. A DC powered CDI only has a trigger signal. Either way, you have spark and the quad starts, so you have power and a trigger signal, so I don't see any way the stator is involved with this problem.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok. I am humbled and stand corrected.

The carb was crapped up again. Runs ok now.

The boy is riding it so I will put off looking into the coil weirdness.

Thanks for pushing me to disbelieve myself.

Jabba

Old 03-11-2012, 10:16 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Ok. I am humbled and stand corrected.

The carb was crapped up again. Runs ok now.

The boy is riding it so I will put off looking into the coil weirdness.

Thanks for pushing me to disbelieve myself.

Jabba
Glad to hear you got it going..

Id put a fuel filter on this if you dont have one on it now.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Ive got no clue about the coil deal... I would do what your doing and ride it..