1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Newbie help desperate on a Jetmoto 110

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie help desperate on a Jetmoto 110

Starts and idles OK. Won't go. It SEEMS like it's a weak spark... but I am not sure. I replaced the coil. That thing seems weird too...

Charging seems a little weak, and not all that consistent. varies from 12.4 volts to over 13 volts at idle.

Any help out there for a brother?

Jabba

Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

define "won't go":
won't move
won't rev up?
spits and sputters?
hesitation?
cuts out while revving up?
cuts out at a constant rev? Ex: 1500 RPMs and it cuts out intermittently?
all wiring connections are tight?
voltmeter shows erratic stator output at battery or where?
just needing some more information......

Old 03-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

It idles ok but the engine dies when you give it enough throttle to move.

I think all the connections are tight.

The voltage I am measuring is at the battery. The engine will run with the battery disconnected. Voltage is .75 volts lower with the lights on.

I have had the carb off a dozen times and believe all that to be right.

I have to insulate the coil from the frame for it to run. That seems weird to me. If the coil bolt touches the frame it sparks a little and dies.

I am pretty convinced its electrical. But where do I go now?

Thanks for the interest.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:17 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum Jabba!

It sounds like a dirty pilot jet or pilot jet circuit..

What color is the spark?

Could the coil be grounded to the frame when you got it?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Blue/white.

Is it normal to have to insulate the coil from the frame? That seems like it isn't right to me... But what do I know?

The more I learn, the more I know I don't know...

It seems wrong to me that you would have to insulate the coil from the frame. But if the coil is out in space... or insulated from the frame, the engine will idle OK. As soon as you touch the mounting bolt to the tab on the frame... there is an arc, and the engine dies.

The engine will almost try to run fast enough to make the quad move if the choke is the WHOLE way one. But if the choke is off... it sputters and dies almost as soon as you give it some gas.

I thought maybe a vacuum leak somewhere too making it run REAL lean... but I have not been able to find one anywhere.

Jabba

Old 03-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i concur. it sounds like a fuel delivery problem. can you see daylight through all of the orifices on the jets? can you see down the jet on the inside? what color is the end of the spark plug electrode? black or grayish/white?
as far as the grounding issue on the coil, that sounds faulty to me, BUT, i'm no electrical expert.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have had that carb off a half dozen times. Everything it there looks right, clear, clean and open to me.

The quad has had these issues for a LONG time. I got it from my nephew, KNOWING they were there.

I messed with it a little bit... and it ran fine... for about an hour. Now it's doing it again.

Very frustrating...

Jabba

Old 03-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabba
Starts and idles OK. Won't go. It SEEMS like it's a weak spark... but I am not sure. I replaced the coil. That thing seems weird too...

"Starts and idles" doesn't sound like a weak spark problem to me. The "weakest spark" occurs when cranking an engine. But your quad starts.

...Charging seems a little weak, and not all that consistent. varies from 12.4 volts to over 13 volts at idle...
Weak charging at idle is situation normal for most small quads. And it has nothing to do with revving up the engine. Ignore this for now since it is not your most pressing problem (if it is even a problem at all). Just so you know, the way you tell is your charging system is working is to rev up the engine to a medium fast speed with the headlights off. Measure the battery voltage at this speed. It should be 13.5 volts to 14.5 volts DC. Since you can't rev your engine you can't measure your charging system yet...

Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Electrical Expert

My Comments in blue...

It idles ok but the engine dies when you give it enough throttle to move. [Classic carburetion issues...]

I think all the connections are tight.

The voltage I am measuring is at the battery. The engine will run with the battery disconnected. Voltage is .75 volts lower with the lights on. [Situation normal for most quads, including mine]

I have had the carb off a dozen times and believe all that to be right.

I have to insulate the coil from the frame for it to run. That seems weird to me. If the coil bolt touches the frame it sparks a little and dies.

[This is not right, and a legitimate electrical problem. How many wires connect to your ignition coil? Obviously there is the high tension lead to the spark plug. But are there *two* other wires that hook up to the ignition coil? If so, one of them will be ground and the other will be the CDI output. If you get these two wires backwards (I'm leaping ahead from the previous hypothesis of course) the ignition coil will still work unless it it bolted to the frame. Even if this idea doesn't pan out there are other things we can try, such as measuring voltages and resistances from the CDI output pin through the ignition coil to ground with both the coil bloted up and hanging free...]

I am pretty convinced its electrical. But where do I go now? [Let's start witht the above and based on the results dig in deeper]

Thanks for the interest.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Electrical Expert

Again comments in blue...
Blue/white.

Is it normal to have to insulate the coil from the frame? That seems like it isn't right to me... But what do I know?

The more I learn, the more I know I don't know...

It seems wrong to me that you would have to insulate the coil from the frame. But if the coil is out in space... or insulated from the frame, the engine will idle OK. As soon as you touch the mounting bolt to the tab on the frame... there is an arc, and the engine dies. [This is a definite problem, but I think you have more than one problem. Per my previous post let's work on that in parallel with the carburetion].

The engine will almost try to run fast enough to make the quad move if the choke is the WHOLE way one. But if the choke is off... it sputters and dies almost as soon as you give it some gas.

I thought maybe a vacuum leak somewhere too making it run REAL lean... but I have not been able to find one anywhere.

[Putting the choke on delivers more fuel, and if that makes it run better then at least this part of your problem is fuel delivery related (as everyone else has suggested also). Have you tried spraying carburetor cleaner around the carburetor/intake manifold while idling? Any change in engine speed indicates a leak. Note that carb cleaner is really flammable so have a fire extinguisher at the ready when doing this kind of test...]

Jabba

Quick Reply: Newbie help desperate on a Jetmoto 110