1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

SUNL 50cc with no spark... HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about the 4.52 reading, that was a brain fart on my side. I tested the CDI box not the stator side. I tested the right side this time and got 133ohms at the trigger to ground wire in the connector.
The rest of the readings were right, but I am going to go back out and test them again to make sure. The stator did not come with the right connector's so I had to splice them with crimp butt connectors, I would'nt think that would throw it off much but I dont want to leave anything out that may help you help me. I pulled the stator to match it up and the wires were all the same colors so I dont expect a problem there.

Thank you again for your help, it is clear that I am in over my head on this one.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alrhoads

Thank you again for your help, it is clear that I am in over my head on this one.
you are learning. that's one of the goals of this forum. to spread knowledge and help each other out. . and get your quad going again!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

That is true, I am on a cummins form to learn about my new truck, and now I help people when I can. I have learned to love forums.
I took your advice and with everything testing where or close to where it should be I went back out there and tried it again with out unhooking the coil. After several minutes cranking it started to build power. Before I knew it I had a spark. Quick carb rebuild and it was runing, still need to do some fine tuning on the mixure but it runs.

Thanks to your help my son rode it for the first time tonight, he has never rode one before and had a blast. I cant thank you enough for your help.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

now if it is going too fast for him, you can govern the throttle at the turnbuckle style adjustment there near the thumb throttle on the cable or at the carburetor with a governing screw. up to you. not exactly sure how your carb is set up(slide or butterfly), but just a couple of thoughts.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes thank you, sofar he is ding ok at slowing down when he is told but tomorrow I am going to take him out to my dads farm and we will see how he does with more room to run. The carb is a munike (Idont know how to spell it), the adjustment screw is on the handle bars but I hope I dont have to use it.
I am not good at adjusting the fuel/air mixure, my flexaible screw driver wont fit and I dont have one that short, but I will give it a shot in the morning when I get home from work. It seems to be a bit rich and likes to flood its self if you arent carefull.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

if that adjustment screw is on the forward edge and the intake boot/tube or the engine is in the way, (i've seen a few set up like that), i've used just a screwdriver bit with my fingers to adjust it. heck, what's that, a 1/2" long or less? one other quad, i had to take a cheap screwdriver and i bent the end of it like a 90° "L" shaped "hook" and got it to fit in there so i wouldn't have to pull the carb to adjust it. just food for thought!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah thats about right, there isnt enough room I will have to try the bit and see if that will work. It is close just needs a light tweek I think.