1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Quad wont start now!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quad wont start now!!!

Just bought a peace tpatv501-110cc quad. It was running really good and starting without any issue two days ago. I put it in my truck to bring it home, took it out of the truck turned it on and drove it for a minute or two. I stored it in my shed and came back to it later that night. I pulled it out of the shed started it and then turned it off with the kill switch on the handle bar so I could fill it up with gas. After that I tried starting it again and it gets no power what so ever. This quad has an alarm and im not sure if its stopping it from starting now. This is my first quad ever so Im not very familiar with these things. I called one of my friends over who knows more then me and he took a screwdriver to the starter relay and it started to crank. Could the issue for it to stop working be the bad relay? What other options can I try until a new relay is shipped to me? I know the battery is brand new we tested it and its getting about 12.3 volts. I even tried to jump the battery with my car but it still gets no power. Ive tried different combinations on the alarm but cant seem to get this thing started. Could it possible be a loose wire? I even read on another forum to try and disconnect the alarm and see if it start. I disconnected the connector that comes out of the alarm and connects to another harness but still no power or cranking. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds to me like one of the dead man switches is still tripped. You should have two, one on the back of the bike on the rear grab bar, its a small rubber cover with a string on it. The other may be a tether on the left side of the handle bars.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

Thats what I thought too. The guy who sold it to me told me its a govenor. I have turn that black **** to the left and right continuesly to try and get it to start but nothing yet.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Please define "gets no power what so ever".

When you turn on the ignition switch, apply the brakes, and press the start button, does the starter motor turn? If not, turn on your headlights. Do they light up? Look at your brake light. Is it lit up?

Or does "gets no power what so ever" mean that the engine cranks with the starter but there is no fuel ignition (it just cranks and cranks)? On a lot of quads the handlebar kill switch must be set back to the center position *and pushed in until it clicks* before you can start the quad again. But this wil not prevent you from cranking the starter motor - it prevent spark the quad will crank and crank but will not start.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Trailblazer

I will try this again soon and post my results. When i said it gets no power i mean that I turn the key to the on position try to start the machine with or with out the brae pushed down and the lights dont turn on and it does not crank or anything. The only way to get it to crank is to jump the solenoid with a screwdriver.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Trailblazer

Ok just tried it again same thing. Still no light or cranking or anything. I pushed the brake in and also held in the button to start it to see if it clicks but still nothing.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

look on the backside of your keyed ignition switch and start checking the quick connects on your wiring harness. use the pull/tug method on each wire in the quick connect after you've confirmed the quick connects are snapped properly. then we'll probably move on to your kill switch you activated. by the way, the voltage on the battery is good, correct?
we need to use the process of elimination to narrow this problem down. be patient.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Range Rover

there are also a few safety switches on most quads that lock out the starter

on mine there is one on the front and rear brake..

The rear one has malfunctioned on me before and caused it not to crank.
Luckily it is a simple adjustment, if that is the problem. Mine is a different brand, but if you follow the rear brake lever back there should be a spring attached to it in the rear that pulls on a switch. Mine had threads so you could adjust the pull, but it was all plastic, so it doesnt hold well. Once you find the switch you can activate it by hand to see if it starts.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Range Rover

I noticed you mentioned the lights dont turn on - I dont think safety switches would make that happen.

There should be a fuse in the wiring harness (probably not far from the battery), you might try and find that.

I had one blow one time for no reason, just driving down the street, and the quad went totally dead and wouldnt do anyhting. I changed the fuse and its been fine for months..

Old 05-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Trailblazer

I checked all the connectors and everything seems to be secure. Yes the battery also has a good charge going to it. Its no problem I have patients I understand this may take some time to solve just really wanted to see if I could get running for my kids this weekend. Wanted to surprise them with it.

Quick Reply: Quad wont start now!!!