1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Quad wont start now!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also want to get new fuses. the fuse I pulled out says F15AL250V is there any other compatible fuses I can pick up at radio shack that might work or will they have this one?

Old 05-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer

I was in the same boat however mine didn't have any numbers I brought it with me to canadian tire and match it up.. size wise might - you have numbers so be alot easier to match I might not have even gotten the right one but it works soo

Old 05-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer

Ok i tried to jump it again from the solenoid, it almost started but after a few more tries it will hardly spark and does not crank anymore could my battery need to be charged? Can I jumper it off my car will that charge it?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

Took the quad apart today, made sure all connections were secure. But still had issues keeping the quad running. Checked the inline fuse to the battery. Change the spark plug but the only way to get the quad started was to give it gas and then it would die. After a while of jumping the solenoid, it did not seem to spark as much, so I used jumper cables from my car to charge the battery. I tired to pull the middle pin on the CDI but it would not come out. So I could not test if it could bypass the kill switch. Is there any possibility to get an electrical diagram of this ATV? I found some wires that seemed to not be connected properly and re-clamped them. I also unplugged all connectors, blew them out and reconnected them. But still nothing. Please give me any other options I can try. The parts that I have ordered should be here at the end of this week or early next week.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by aromao
Also If that fuse went bad wouldnt I not be able to start it by jumping the solenoid though? As of right now thats the only way I can start it with a screwdriver.
Jumping across the solenoid connects the battery directly across the starter motor. If the battery, wiring, and starter are good the starter will turn the engine *unconditionally*. This is something you need to think about every time you do this. If the quad starts up, and it is in gear, it could get away from you unexpectedly. So be *extra* careful to make sure you're in neutral, and/or you have the brakes applied.

There is no fusing on the starter motor path. Instead they use really heavy gauge wires out in the open. The fuse protects the small gauge wire paths so it won't burst into flames if the 12 volts is shorted to ground through the small wires.

If your quad ignition system is AC powered off the stator then a working quad will start up if the ignition switch is on and all kill switches are in the "run" position if the starter motor is turned in any way. It's like your lawn mower. It doesn't even have a battery. You pull the rope and it starts up. Same thing here...

Old 05-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Trailblazer

Im sorry I honestly didnt understand that this is the first time I actually messed with a quad. As far as being careful when its in gear, I did put the back axle on a brick so that the rear tires could spin since there are no gears on my quad just one gear going forward.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Electrical Expert

I also want to get new fuses. the fuse I pulled out says F15AL250V is there any other compatible fuses I can pick up at radio shack that might work or will they have this one?
Don't get too worked up about the exact fuse number. Your fuse is 15 amp, with a maximum interruption voltage of 250 volts. There are a lot of precise timing parameters that can be part of the fuse specification - like how many seconds does it take to blow the fuse with a 50% overload, or how much surge current will it pass for 50 milliseconds without blowing. These things are important if your are trying to protect a $200,000 missile tracking system, but all you are trying to do is prevent a fire in a cheap chinese quad. Just put in a fuse. Fast blow, medium blow, slow blow - they will all save your wiring harness from catching fire.

But I do think that 15 amps is a bit too high. Most 110cc machines use 7 amp fuses. Either I wouldn't lose any sleep. But I would lose sleep if I didn't have any fuse at all. Even those little quad batteries can put out tremendous current levels - enough to melt wires and cause a fire in seconds.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

lynnedwards thanks for the your post the last one I understood but the one before i really didn't i apologize...I will go get the same size fuses in about 7 -10 amps but im not sure it has to do with that because I checked it with a volt meter and I got continuity off of it. I am going to bring my quad over to my mechanic tomorrow night he used to work on motorcycles so hopefully he can find this electrical problem for me. I also ordered a starter relay which could possible be the case. What do you think?

Old 05-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Trailblazer

also I took some pictures of the quad and would like to upload them but not sure how to

Old 05-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Electrical Expert

Ok i tried to jump it again from the solenoid, it almost started but after a few more tries it will hardly spark and does not crank anymore could my battery need to be charged? Can I jumper it off my car will that charge it?
You won't get spark if the battery can't crank the engine fast enough. There is a voltage threshold that must be met at the trigger voltage input to the CDI. That comes from the stator, and that voltage is proportional to cranking speed.

Your car will charge a dead quad battery, but it will technically charge it with too much current. The rule of thumb for lead-acid batteries is that for optimum battery life you always charge the battery at a maximum rate of 1/10 of it's amper-hour rating in amps. Thus a 5 Amp-Hour battery should be charged at no more that 0.5 amps. But this is impractical and most motorcycle chargers exceed that. It's the classic tradeoff between the convenience of fast charging, versus long term battery life.

Charging off your car takes this to a whole new level since the possible charging current can be massively higher. If your battery is really discharged it is going to take some life out of your battery by charging too quickly. If your battery is 90% charged up when you do this there won't be harm at all. But on the other hand, batteries that sit around discharged (even partially) are also being damaged. Which is worse? That's a tough call.

Quick Reply: Quad wont start now!!!