1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Looking for Direction Problem Tao Tao 125 ATV

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zae
My son 4 wheeler have been sitting for 3 months because its wouldn't start and i haven't had the time to get around to it. So i try to start the other day and it does but when i hit the gas it cuts back. It wont go more than half way. Please help
Sounds like gunk in your carb. Take it off and clean out the jets. I bet your main jet is clogged.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:43 PM
Zae
Weekend Warrior

Thanks alot i will try it because i was totally lost.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Zae
Thanks alot i will try it because i was totally lost.
No problem. Usually if your main jet is clogged, it will start and idle, but as soon as you give it gas it'll fall on its face.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi,

New to the forums here. I put a brand new carb in a TaoTao 125-d for a friend. I have spark and fuel. Everything is connected right and no issues from what I can tell. However, the bike won't start at all. I have dialled the air/fuel screw in and backed it out 2 full turns as i have read in the forums. Then I adjusted the idle screw to were the original was thinking it may be the issue. I pulled the plug out and it was wet and black. Cleaned it off and tried to start, nothing. Every now and then I get a small back fire, but it doesn't actually start so i can tune it. Do you have any recommendations for someone new with these bikes? Just to confirm, it is a btand new carb from the dealer.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2019, 01:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Why fit a new carb? If it wasn't attempting to start on the old carb, and isn't on the new, it would indicate the problem isn't the carb. If however it ran on the old carb, this would indicate you have bought a dud new one. First thing to check, other than carb, is spark, make sure it is a good one and fit a new plug anyway. Next check compression, needs to be over 90psi for good starting. Then valve timing, marks should line up at TDC on compression stroke. Lastly is the TDC mark on flywheel at TDC by the piston.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the information. I forgot to mention that the bike ran with the old carb, but not very well. Upon inspection i had noticed that it had been opened before by someone as it had been drilled out. I assume it was one of the sealed carbs that was on there. There was also a brass fitting that the pin at the end of the throttle cable that was missing inside of the carb. That is what led me to buy a new one. Spark is good and strong, although I have not checked the compression. I will have to dig out my grandfathers old compression tool and give it a go tonight. The Spark Plug is also brand new, figured I would grab one with the carb for a fresh go. Is there anything else that you think may be the issue? Or I got a dud for carb?

Old 08-29-2019, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

X2 on valve adjustment.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by RonV
X2 on valve adjustment.
What are the specs for the valves?

Old 08-29-2019, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by mwarden
What are the specs for the valves?
https://taotao.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/...bile_site=true

Old 08-30-2019, 02:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

A new plug doesn't = a good plug, put the old one back in.

Quick Reply: Looking for Direction Problem Tao Tao 125 ATV