1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Looking for Direction Problem Tao Tao 125 ATV

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Direction Problem Tao Tao 125 ATV

Hello all,

I purchased a ATA -125A ATV from Tao Tao approx. 4 weeks ago. It has started but has not run / moved since I assembled it. I followed all the instructions to the tee, followed all the start up procedures and the longest the ATV has run is 30 seconds.

*Received ATV and assembled.
*Charged battery overnight with a 12v charger w/trickle after charge
*Filled tank to half way. (ATV does not have petcock) I used 89 octane
*Turned on full choke, ATV started after about 8-9 revolutions. Died after about 10 seconds.
*Shut off choke started ATV ran for 5 seconds and while working the throttle it died (bogged, like no fuel/air)
* ATV never started again.
* Opened float bowl overflow to release air fuel drained out.
* Opened tank cap to release air (none present)
* Tried starting again - will not start.
* Pulled plug and test for spark - spark was present.
* Purchased new NGK sparkplug - ATV started (after sitting for day) same as before, died while working throttle. Will not start again.
* After cranking the motor for some time, pulled plug - not even wet with gasoline.
* Removed carb, cleaned, inspected, etc. checked gaskets, o-rings, etc. all in working order.
* Installed carb, will not start.
* Charged battery again overnight - will not start.
* Ohm test on Coil, ignition and ignition wire, all within range.
* Checked all switches(Kill, tether, front brake and rear brake) all working correctly.
* checked for grounded wires, etc. (does not seem like electrical problem)
* Called TaoTao explained problem, said it was a carb issue. Sent out new carb under warranty.
* Installed new carb, followed same procedure as above, ATV started on choke and died, ATV started off choke and while working throttle - died, never started again.
* Last night went through the entire fuel and ignition again. Fuel is flowing to NEW filter to carb, open overflow from float bowl, fuel flows out there. Still have spark.
* Cranked ATV off choke for 20 seconds and finally started and ran for approx. 30 seconds trying to work the throttle, ATV died (bogged like no fuel /air again) has not started since. This last one gave me a glimmer of hope but right back to the same problem.

Sorry for the long rant, but does anyone have any ideas what to check next. TaoTao has not been real helpful and I have done all the test's they suggested. I bought this ATV for my son to drag race at a local track in the Jr. Dragster class (they allow this at our local track) he missed the first race already because of this and looks like missing the second race this weekend.

I appreciate any and all comment / suggestions.
Thank you,
Jim

Old 05-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer

Three things we need to run our quads are Spark, Fuel and Air so seen we have the spark here are a few things I would test...

1) I would remove the gas line to the carb placing a clear bowl or glass and drain about half a glass replace the line to the carb and inspect the fuel first off did it flow nicely? secondly is it clearn of dirt that would have sunk to the bottom of the glass.. I has this cause if your jets keep getting plugged that would cause it to bogg out and die it's not getting proper fuel...

2) assuming the test above was good - lets open up the carb and check the that the jets are not plugged - hold them up to the sky or light can you see through all the holes? if not using carb cleaner dunk them for a good hour then blow them out with air - reassemble and give it another kick..

3) once you get the carb back in on the top of this forum there is a carb setting tutorial - use it get the air/flow mixture screw about 2 turns out and adjust the idle

now assuming you have spark and the fuel was flowing - and all kill switches are intact then you should be good to go..

Lynn Edwards will pounce on this one shortly but thats my two cents to get you started...

thanks

Old 05-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i concur, you have a fuel delivery issue. did the carb have some solids in it or a gel pac for shipment? pull it apart, double check both jets. make sure all of the orifices are clean and you can see daylight through them and inside each jet. not exactly sure how your intake boot is set up, but does it have an O-ring on the intake? if so, make sure it's in there correctly. one test, you better do it conservatively, is an ether/starter fluid test. once you crank it and it starts, if it dies again, then give it a small small shot. if it stays running on ether, then you definitely have a fuel delivery issue. I CAN'T STRESS TO YOU ENOUGH ABOUT HOW CONSERVATIVE TO BE IF YOU DO THAT TEST. i've had good luck with this test on various quads but don't use a lot. you can damage the quad's engine. . there's my disclaimer.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Replies in Red...........

Originally Posted by desjardins2012
Three things we need to run our quads are Spark, Fuel and Air so seen we have the spark here are a few things I would test...

1) I would remove the gas line to the carb placing a clear bowl or glass and drain about half a glass replace the line to the carb and inspect the fuel first off did it flow nicely? secondly is it clearn of dirt that would have sunk to the bottom of the glass.. I has this cause if your jets keep getting plugged that would cause it to bogg out and die it's not getting proper fuel...I Disconnected the fuel line and it flowed perfect and then I inspected the contents and it was free and clear of any contaminates.

2) assuming the test above was good - lets open up the carb and check the that the jets are not plugged - hold them up to the sky or light can you see through all the holes? if not using carb cleaner dunk them for a good hour then blow them out with air - reassemble and give it another kick..I took apart the new carb and it was really clean inside, all jets free and clear. Remounted carb and it started just like before but dies and will not start again.

3) once you get the carb back in on the top of this forum there is a carb setting tutorial - use it get the air/flow mixture screw about 2 turns out and adjust the idle If I can get it started I could adjust the carb...lol

now assuming you have spark and the fuel was flowing - and all kill switches are intact then you should be good to go..

Lynn Edwards will pounce on this one shortly but thats my two cents to get you started...

thanks

Old 05-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Jaster94
i concur, you have a fuel delivery issue. did the carb have some solids in it or a gel pac for shipment? pull it apart, double check both jets. make sure all of the orifices are clean and you can see daylight through them and inside each jet. not exactly sure how your intake boot is set up, but does it have an O-ring on the intake? if so, make sure it's in there correctly. one test, you better do it conservatively, is an ether/starter fluid test. once you crank it and it starts, if it dies again, then give it a small small shot. if it stays running on ether, then you definitely have a fuel delivery issue. I CAN'T STRESS TO YOU ENOUGH ABOUT HOW CONSERVATIVE TO BE IF YOU DO THAT TEST. i've had good luck with this test on various quads but don't use a lot. you can damage the quad's engine. . there's my disclaimer.
I think we might be on to something here.....I sprayed the intake area (back of carb and spacer to manifold with soapy water and then hit the start button and the seemed like the fluid was sucked in between the space and intake. I held my finger over the space and cranked again and the ATV would start and then die. I am thinking might have a vacuum issue and drawing in way to much air. I will pull it apart again and check the gasket and oring on both the carb and spacer. Thanks

Old 05-23-2012, 05:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

one thing that has happened to me before and i didn't realize it until i did a soap test like you was that the spacer/O-ring assembly was put on upside down(bolt holes were barely off alignment and i had forced the thing together in a fit of madness).. yeah, whodathunkit, after multiple times of cranking, spraying ether/starting fluid around the carb area and staring a hole in the dang thing, it dawned on me cause it just didn't look right. boy i tell ya, it was a relief to me when i finally "saw" it. sometimes i can't see the forest because of the trees! but long story short, after i aligned the spacer/O-Ring assembly up with the carb, that quad ran fine after a little carb tweaking.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay..............I'm done. After 4 weeks of messing with this thing I just cannot get it to do the same thing twice. 4 weeks and the longest it has stayed running is 30 seconds. I did find a crack in the o-ring spacer between the carb and manifold. On a whim I decided to bolt the carb directly to the manifold, just to see if I was having a vacuum issue. After cranking for what seemed like eternity the thing fired and I was able to work the throttle, just like before, would not idle and died, never to start again. So hate it when it gives you a glimmer of hope and then crushes you. Just can't understand why it will try and start, sometimes start but never run. I have spark, fuel and air..............but this thing will not run. Time to call the CC company prepare them for the fight to get this thing returned and start again. Worst part, being the Dad, my son saw that I was dejected last night and he laid his head on mine and told me its okay, he can watch the other kids race this weekend. Talk about a heart crusher....LOL. Should of bought a damn Honda from the local dealer and we would have made the first two races....lesson learned.

Jim

Old 05-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Trailblazer

I'm going to repeat a few things here so bare with me...

we have spark (check)
we have fuel (check) however our issue I believe stills sits in the carb - you mention being able to get it running and keep it running feathering the throttle? is that correct?

either way I'm prob going to break your heart even more here but you choose the wrong bike to be competitive with.... even if only for youngsters you'll ALWAYS have this thing apart - had mine for just over a month and it's great backyard/no pitted tracks but anything more that a dimple in the trail your screwed and glued - these things also HATE water.. they are a dads learning tool along side the kids temporary riding experience.. lol

anyhow if you can get some pics I would like to see the machine were looking at and a pic of the carb and cdi pin setting

but confirm this for me

it starts and then dies? can you keep it alive getting on the throttle.. take note of how far in the idle screw is...

Old 05-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i'm sorry i couldn't help any better. i was hopeful that our advice would get this thing running. sounds like you better go to a yamaha or honda like you said. really, the only "off brand" that i've had the best luck with is the Eton. it is, in my opinion, the better built off brand. based on the polaris design. i really apologize for failing you. it must be a lemon. one thing i hope your son learned was that you didn't give up in the face of adversity and that sometimes, even after you've done everything possible, some things just can't be fixed and must be replaced. i truly am sorry for failing you. besides, you still have your hero status with him! because you are his dad!

Old 05-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not an expert in mechanics, but after reading this thread I've got to wonder about a few things.

After it ran for a bit and then stalled, what where the results of any diagnostic tests at that time? It doesn't do any good to mix test results when the does quad starts up, with test results when the quad doesn't start up. That can only lead to frustration and confusion. When you are frustrated there is a tendency to get stubborn against new ideas and inattentive to details. It's human nature. Every one of us has probably gotten into a negative mood, given up and then later found the problem after giving it a rest and tackling it with a fresh mind.

At one point there was a fuel delivery problem. Then a problem with the intake gasket was corrected. Do you still have a fuel delivery problem? I.e. spark plug is dry after cranking? Do you still have regular consistent spark now that everything has changed? Have you measured the compression? Have you hooked a timing light up and used it to check spark timing through the access hole into stator area? [Sometimes CDI's can self trigger randomly - and it can happen right after start up]. Plugged exhaust?

Quick Reply: Looking for Direction Problem Tao Tao 125 ATV