1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Coolster 110cc (Magneto Stator)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolster 110cc (Magneto Stator)

Need help does any one know what the diffence between a full and half wave staor is? I got this quad on CL and it is on a 3200E frame but has the 110 engine in it. I need to order a new stator but dont know what one to but since they both look the same just one is a full wave and the other is a half wave. Drop me a line if you have any idea or where to go look.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what makes you think you have to replace the stator? if you list the problem(s) it may be experiencing, we could probably help and save you some headaches, time, and money. just curious.....

Old 05-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

well it is fried it is all melted and smoked real bad when I tried to start it up. Plus the one I got was for a 200cc since that is what I thought it was when i forst got it since it was on a 200 body and frame so the new one for the 110 looks like the original one I had in but there are two different ones the full wave and half wave so that is what I am having trouble figuring out.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad Mcconnell
well it is fried it is all melted and smoked real bad when I tried to start it up. Plus the one I got was for a 200cc since that is what I thought it was when i forst got it since it was on a 200 body and frame so the new one for the 110 looks like the original one I had in but there are two different ones the full wave and half wave so that is what I am having trouble figuring out.
"Full wave" and "half wave" are very strange terms to use describing the stator. Can you post pictures of the stators in question, or post links to the pictures in question?

You say it smoked when you started it up. That should not happen - even if your stator is bad. Do you have a fuse coming off the small wire from the battery? What is it's value? It should be no more then 7 amps. If you have a bad voltage regulator and you don't have the proper fuse then maybe you could smoke a stator.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cookie Usage : MotopartsMaxATV Parts & Dirt Bike Parts, Moped Parts Go Kart Parts, Dune Buggy Parts and Accessories

Cookie Usage : MotopartsMaxATV Parts & Dirt Bike Parts, Moped Parts Go Kart Parts, Dune Buggy Parts and Accessories

Here are the links to the two I am talking about. I do have a fuse but I checked to see if it is in good shape and it was I am not sure on the size of it but will make sure it is no more than 7 amps. I will have to check the voltage regulator I didn't think of that maybe being bad. I am still going to have to get a new ciol since the one I have is in bad shape.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Your links were very interesting. I think I know what is going on...

On your second link for the "half wave" stator, look at the third picture down after the dividing line between the top section and the "images" section. This is a picture of the battery charging coil.

Look at the left most coil mounting screw. See how it is wired to chassis/frame ground? This is key...

Now go to the first link for the "full wave" stator. Look at picture number five below the 'images' dividing line. Now look at the left mounting bolt. Note that there is *not* a grounding lug.

Therein lies the difference. Look at your old stator. Even if it is burnt up you should be able to see the difference. That is what you should go for. But I'm assuming that this quad worked at some point. Is this true?

The "half wave" style is a lot more common than the "full wave", and they are not compatible. They must match your wiring and voltage regualtor topology.

At first I balked at the 'half' versus 'full' wave descriptors, but after thinking about it I'm beginning to see the significance. I've learned something from your posts. I appreciate that . I have some more thinking to do...

Old 05-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks a bunch. I didnt even see the difference in the two when I was looking at them. It ends up it is the half wave one that I need. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it all turned out when I get the parts on.