1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Performance Ignition Coils

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Ignition Coils

Looking to add a performance ignition coil to the Gio Beast and not wanting to fall into the same style coils that come with it but have been labled as performance.
Has anyone used coils from something else?
I am not sure if say a coil from a car would work or not. Anyone have any insight on this?

Old 07-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Remember that the coil is tuned to the CDI. The storage capacitor in the CDI (the "C" in the acronym "CDI") and the inductance of the primary winding form a series resonant circuit - which matches the parallel resonance of the ignition coil secondary (the secondary inductance plus the distributed capacitance across the windings). This allows maximum energy transfer from primary to secondary. The resonance is about 30 KHz. Id you look at the primary waveform you can see this resonance as a damped ringing at 30 KHz.

The point is that you can't just go substituting coils ***** nilly (like a coil from a car). That will almost always result in reduced spark energy.

I'm really skeptical about claims of any "performance" coil. The coil is just an energy conversion device. It takes energy from the CDI (moderately high voltage and current), and converts it to really high voltage at a really small current. The power transferred from the CDI to the coil is a few watts.

So a "performance" coil would have to do this more efficiently to have a better spark. How do they do this? Where is the energy saving? The existing system is pretty efficient. A skeptical mind wants to know.... This is where the "performance" claims start to get vague and unscientific.

An unscrupulous vendor would know that these things cannot be measured without specialized and expensive equipment. And even then the differences would be extremely small and great care would have to be used to measure them accurately. Therefore that gives great freedom to make outrageous claims, without fear of someone being able to call them on it.

Twice I've had people come to me with battery charge problems. After some dialog they both disclosed that this problem started after they had disconnected the "RPM limiter box". Some quads do have RPM limiter units, but what these two had disconnected was the 4 pin voltage regulator. No wonder their batteries weren't keeping charged . One person absolutely would not believe it. He maintained that his quad went *much* faster when he disconnected what he maintained was the speed limiter. Of course that is utterly silly, and his battery started charging again when he plugged the regulator back in. Butt dynomometers (and human intuition) are often horribly inaccurate.

I'm a skeptic by nature... I don't believe it unless they can prove it...

Old 07-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL thanks knew I had the right place for the answer.