1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

need help on wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by harleysparkplug
comin out of motor have five wires 2 white ,white with red strip,black with red strip ,black the rectifire4 wires yellow, white, green ,red coil green, black with yellow strip,
What engine size do you have? All your pictures are so close up (and out of focus ) that I can't tell. Was that the rectifier that came with the quad (and not something that came from the salvage yard)?

Assuming this is the original rectifier, the two white wires from the engine go to the rectifier yellow and white wires. It doesn't matter which way around.

I'm betting black is ground, the black with the red stripe is the AC ignition power, white with red stripe is the timing trigger signal. These all go to the CDI, but do you have the correct CDI as outlined in my last post...

Take a meter and measure the resistance of your 5 engine wires to ground (black meter lead on a clean shiny engine bolt). Use the 2000 ohm scale (same 2K ohm scale). What do you measure on all of these wires? Then also measure the resistance of the two white wires to each other. Use the lowest scale you have (like 20 ohms). What do you measure?