1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Going crazy....need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going crazy....need advice

So i have cleaned carb at least 5 times, checked and triple checked everything. Still when i hit the throttle it dies out.
I tried any thing and everything you have suggested, could i be missing something.

Please help

Eric

Old 07-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ignition timing?

I have the same symptoms and have got this far: http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...roke-quad.html

Hope this helps!

Old 07-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

Well, its just that i had the same problem last year and got it figured out. But your right i might have to bite the bullet And do the timing.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

Is this something a novice could with basic tools? Any links to "how to"

Old 07-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Does it die completely, or just bog back to a slightly higher speed over idle?

I have a bad CDI (which I've long since replaced) that does exactly what you describe. With it installed the quad starts up and idles, but the minute I try and throttle up it bogs and stutters, but it does not stall out and die. In this situation the increasing ignition power voltage with engine speed is causing the CDI to "self trigger" at the wrong time, and therefore won't accelerate. But as the engine falters the ignition power voltage falls,a and the quad then returns to normal operation. The engine falters back and forth between the edges of normal and abnormal operation.

I have to say that the above scenario is really uncommon. I would guess that 99% of the time (a percentage that is coming completely out of my rear with no statistical data verification at all) your problem would be the carburetor. But one of the things I see happening on this forum is that a lot of the very common problems are well documented, and figured out by many in the background without having to post anything. Thus the *really strange* problems tend to bubble up to the forefront.

If you were to spray ether into the carburetor, does you engine take off and race like a demon? If so it cannot be your ignition system since if your CDI was faltering at higher engine speeds it would falter here too. If your engine races like a demon then this points to fuel issues.

Or if you don't like ether (starting fluid), then dump a little gas directly into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. Then quickly reinsert the plug and try to start the quad. If the engine races up, then it's not the CDI. Same thin as with the ether above.

These are just some random thoughts of mine.

I'm going away for 10 days starting tommorow. I'll be back, but I will probably be silent for the interim...

Old 07-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

Could it be the spark plug? The one thing i didnt replace?

I will try your suggestions lynn

Old 07-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

Changed plug, no difference. The old plug was black and fouled.
Im working on posting a you tube video