1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

4 pin CDI advice - Can't find the right one

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 pin CDI advice - Can't find the right one

Hello, neat forum.

Today I purchased a Chinese 110cc ATV. Right now I know it's missing the CDI. I made an imgur account to post the pictures to: chinese 110 atv - Imgur

I simply can't find the right CDI that fits the harnesses. The best idea I've had is to cut the wires and sta kon then on. Following the diagram also in the imgur.

This seems crazy. I don't why I can't find the right one. This is my first ATV too....

The L harness goes from near the engine and the regular two pin is closer to the battery. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I googled "chinese 4 pin CDI" and found lots of sources for for the common 4 pin CDI. Perhaps I'm not understanding the question... Maybe you're looking at an empty four pin connector in the harness and assuming it is for the CDI? What are the colors on this empty connector, and can yout post a picture of it?

I'm also not understanding the statement:

...The L harness goes from near the engine and the regular two pin is closer to the battery....

Old 07-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi, thanks for looking.

I don't have an empty 4 pin harness. I only have two 2 pin harnesses.chinese 110 atv - Imgur The colors are purple black green and red. Photo Album - Imgur http://dougernaut.imgur.com/

I don't know why there is not an empty 4 pin harness and why instead I have two 2 pin harnesses.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Electrical Expert

I've never seen a CDI that has that connector pattern. I suspect that this connector set isn't for the CDI. WHatkind if Chinese ATV is this?

A CDI must have the following four wires:

1) Ground
2) Power (either AC or DC)
3) Trigger from the stator
4) Output to the ignition coil

So what are the colors of all the wires coming out of your stator (coming out the engine side cover)? If the wire colors change as they pass through the connector set going into the wiring harness, give me the colors on the harness side of any connector set.

And what are the wire colors feeding your ignition coil?

Do you see what I'm doing here? If the CDI connector set needs to have a trigger signal from the stator, and a wire going to the ignition coil, then we should be able to find two colors out the four (on the mystery connector set) at the ignition coil or at the stator. If not then those connectors are for someting else.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I did what you said and now feel kind of stupid. Tracing the front wires I found a five pin CDI stuck up into the front fork frame. Then, going back I was able to find a slightly loose wire stuck between the frame and the bike. Tightening that it started and ran for a minute, before it crapped out.

The sellers told me they lost a square device on the back and it was needed to run. I guess I shouldn't have just assumed.... Still don't know what the missing harness piece is though...maybe it doesn't matter. The bike is a Peace Industries. It looks like a TPATV516-110CC. I would post a link but it looks to be not allowed. Their website is less than impressive though with no part section.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Electrical Expert

This is progress. In science often the way forward requires a bit of back tracking first before we can leap forward to new horizons....

So it started up and ran a bit. Good. But now it doesn't...

While you have it in the "not running" mode, check to see if you have spark. Do you know how to do this?

Let's get it running, then check to see what's not working. That will give a clue as to what those two connectors are for. It may well be that they are unused on your quad, in which case everything will work and we can just ignore them. But do the tests and lets find out...

Old 08-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Range Rover

The only things I can think of that match your description, is a alarm system or a regulator/rectifier.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by cesar110
The only things I can think of that match your description, is a alarm system or a regulator/rectifier.
I don't know what that harness is. The only thing that now bothers me about it is that it looks used inside like something was there....

However, we adjusted the carburator and now it's running pretty good. It bogs down a little. It was adjusted more to make it leaner but still bogs down a little. My roommate was saying we could put a bigger carb on it. I don't know how easy that is. It takes the PZ20. That might just be how it runs; but it's true that carb is very small looking...

There are a couple on the page I'm looking at here for 125cc. I'm not sure it they would fit. I removed the links so it won't seem spammy.

$39.95
22mm Carburetor w/Hand Choke Lever for 125cc 4-stroke ATVs, Dirt Bikes & Go Karts

$31.95
25mm Carburetor w/Hand Choke Lever for 125cc 4-stroke ATVs, Dirt Bikes & Go Karts

$19.95
PZ20 Carburetor for 50-110cc Horizontal Engine

$63.95
VM22 Mikuni Carburetor for 125cc ATVs & Dirt Bikes

Old 08-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Electrical Expert

I don't know about the carburetors. I still use the stock one on my quad.

Besides making sure the quad runs (which it does now) make sure the battery is charging. Start up the quad, turn off the headlights, and run it at a medium fast speed like 3000 RPM. Measure your battery voltage right on the battery terminals. It should be 13.5 to 14.5 volts DC. Is so, I would ignore those two connectors.

Or, if you're really curious, you could take those four wire colors on he two connectors and inspect every other connector in your main wiring harness for the same colors. Note where these wires connect to. Do this for all four wires. The idea is that a purple wire going into the wiring harness will *still be purple* when it comes out somewhere else. The we see what that other purple wire connects to and then we start to connect the dots. After doing this for all four colors we will have a pretty clear picture of what these wires are supposed to do...

Old 08-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Range Rover

Most of the carbs out there are chinese copies. You might want to go 24mm or a 26mm monster carb. I still have stock 19mm and also considering going bigger, I've done my research

MIKUNI 26 MM CARBURETOR CARB XR CRF 50 SDG KLX 110 BIKE | eBay

24MM MIKUNI CARBURETOR HONDA CRF50 XR50 XR 50 CARB CA06 | eBay

If you can find one that has a accelerator pump, it will improve starting and throttle acceleration I've read.

Last edited by cesar110; 08-03-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Too many also

Quick Reply: 4 pin CDI advice - Can't find the right one