1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Coolster 3050D Wont Turn over.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 07:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also noticed the wire running to the tailight has been cut off, of course the whole tail light is busted up and im getting a new one coming. would that have anything to do with my issues?
thanks

Old 08-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Exclamation

noticed something this morning. When i take the spark plug out leaving it in the ignition coil the atv will turn over like a pro but no spark when i put the plug to the engine to ground it. when i take the plug out of the ignition coil i go back the the same solenoid buzzing and the starter turning once and a while. when i screw the plug back in and hook up the ignition coil i have the same problems still. Is the coil or the CDI bad?

Old 08-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

Are fuses blowing or is there somthing getting hot or melting wires?

Old 08-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Range Rover

Search the forums for a testing procedure, LynnEdwards is the expert in testing CDIs and coils . Post your results here...

Old 08-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by matt drosky
Did some checking with a voltmeter this morning.
At the starter solenoid i have 13.3 volts with the key on, when i push the starter button it drops to 0.0 to 2.0 when the starter cranks over.
At the starter when i push the start button im only getting around 3 volts....
I am presuming that you're measuring from the starter solenoid (red meter lead) to frame ground (black meter lead). Correct? If so then move your meter leads back to the battery terminals (red on positive, and black on negative). Note that when I say "battery terminals" I mean exactly that - not the lugs that bolt to the battery terminals or anything else.

Measure the battery voltage (on the terminals) while cranking the starter. What do you read? If the voltage collapses to less that 11.5 volts then you battery is bad or discharged.

...i have a schumacher battery charger/starter set at 2 amps. put the charger to 10 amps and still the same readings. this seems a bit strange to me. could the be a problem with the solenoid?
10 amps is not enough to turn the starter motor by itself. Starters draw 30 amps or more. So if your battery is flat dead (or just bad) your starter still won't turn. Did you ever try jumping the quad battery to your car battery with some jumper cables?

As far as a bad solenoid goes, let's make sure your battery is up to snuff first....

Old 08-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Electrical Expert

noticed something this morning. When i take the spark plug out leaving it in the ignition coil the atv will turn over like a pro but no spark when i put the plug to the engine to ground it. when i take the plug out of the ignition coil i go back the the same solenoid buzzing and the starter turning once and a while. when i screw the plug back in and hook up the ignition coil i have the same problems still. Is the coil or the CDI bad?
WHen the plug is out the engine is easier to turn (no compression). Therefore the starter motor draws less current, and therefore may be able to turn where it wouldn't before when the plug was in.

CDIs and coils have absolutely nothing to do with solenoids buzzing or starters not turning.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Electrical Expert

Also noticed the wire running to the tailight has been cut off, of course the whole tail light is busted up and im getting a new one coming. would that have anything to do with my issues?
thanks
No.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice, when my new battery comes in I will let you know as soon as I know.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:12 AM
Electrical Expert

Thanks for the advice, when my new battery comes in I will let you know as soon as I know.
But in the mean time jump your quad battery to your car battery. Why wait? You'll get some instant answers.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Guys,
I got the new battery in yesterday and the CDI, and ignition coil.
I replaced the CDI and installed the new battery. Engine turns over and i have spark.
There is a noise though coming from the starter side of the motor that sounds like it is binding up, and i think some how im not getting fuel to the system.
The carburator is clean and i tried to plug the the carb because of the missing screw on the bowl float, but the darn thing is still leaking.

Any suggetion would be great thanks.

Quick Reply: Coolster 3050D Wont Turn over.