1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Coolster 3050D Wont Turn over.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Coolster 3050D Wont Turn over.

I purchased this atv today for my son for a cheap price, but it needs some work.
the problom im having is that when i push the starter button i can hear the solenoid buzzing and once and a while the starter will turn over once or twice then back to hearing just the buzzing on the solenoid. The battery was shot so i have my battery charger set at 2 amps doing this until i pick up a new battery tomorrow. My question is were do i go next on this project? this is my first crack at working on an atv so im not very experienced as to what to look for next. I did check the wiring and connections and they seem tight and clean. it looks to have a new CDI, ignition coil, and key switch assembly. Could the starter be the problem? My son and I would greatly appreciate any help we could get.
Thanks so much!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Range Rover

Change oil and change the Chinese imitation spark plug(if there is one).

Old 08-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Range Rover
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by matt drosky
I purchased this atv today for my son for a cheap price, but it needs some work.
the problom im having is that when i push the starter button i can hear the solenoid buzzing and once and a while the starter will turn over once or twice then back to hearing just the buzzing on the solenoid. The battery was shot so i have my battery charger set at 2 amps doing this until i pick up a new battery tomorrow. My question is were do i go next on this project? this is my first crack at working on an atv so im not very experienced as to what to look for next. I did check the wiring and connections and they seem tight and clean. it looks to have a new CDI, ignition coil, and key switch assembly. Could the starter be the problem? My son and I would greatly appreciate any help we could get.
Thanks so much!!!!!!
The starter should be good. Most likely the battery.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Cesar, ill pick up the new battery and plug tomorrow and give it a try. also notice the set screw is missing out of the bottom of the carb, you would happen to know what size and length i would need would you?
thanks again.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

set screw? are you talking about the float bowl drain?
also, you can jump the battery from your car/truck battery just like you would another car/truck. it is 12 volts. you need the voltage up to make the solenoid engage to crank it.
what set screw? i can only think of a bowl drain.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have not worked on your model quad, but please make sure the left handlebar brake lever is set. you may have a safety interlock that would prevent your quad from cranking/turning over. just make sure the brake switch works. BUT as i stated earlier, you can jump it for now and see if she cranks/turns over. but eventually, you'll need a new battery.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with everything above...

But once you get that new battery installed you need to check the charging system to make sure it is keeping the battery charged up. Else the new battery will discharge over time and be quickly ruined.

The battery charging system is easy to check. All you need is a voltmeter.

Note: The battery can't be flat dead when you do this test, or the battery will drag down the charging system making it look bad when it may not be bad. Also a really bad battery can do the same thing. So for best results start with at least a partially charged battery.

Start up the engine and run at medium high speed with the headlights off. Set your meter to measure DC volts on the 20 volt scale. Measure the voltage on the battery terminals while the engine is running at the medium fast clip. The voltage should be 13.5 volts to 14.5 volts.
If the voltage falls within that range your charging system is working fine. If the voltage is low then your charging system is under charging your battery. If it is higher then your charging system is overcharging the battery.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice, and i was talking about the float drain. Sorry about that.
Size and length would be awesome so i could find one.

THANKS

Old 08-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Range Rover

If you want a quick fix, you could plug it up. But there are LOTS of Chinese atv parts on the web. What size carb is it?

Old 08-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Did some checking with a voltmeter this morning.
At the starter solenoid i have 13.3 volts with the key on, when i push the starter button it drops to 0.0 to 2.0 when the starter cranks over.
At the starter when i push the start button im only getting around 3 volts.
i have a schumacher battery charger/starter set at 2 amps. put the charger to 10 amps and still the same readings. this seems a bit strange to me. could the be a problem with the solenoid?

Quick Reply: Coolster 3050D Wont Turn over.