1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

110cc Tao Tao hesitates...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it's like a lot of LYNNEDWARDS' posts and replies. he give great details on testing and usually by the end of the post, through troubleshooting techniques with meters, the problems get solved and people learn more about the systems of their quads that'll help them in the future PLUS help others who are reading the posts/replies/step by step guidelines and procedures.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your compression reading?

Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hear ya on checking all the wiring. I have been checking it all, but have yet to find any bad connections or wires. The only reason i replaced the CDI and volt regulator was because it was only $2 for the brand new pair and I couldn't pass that up. I was just hoping/dreaming that it would solve the problem. As for compression. I don't have a compression gauge. I conducted the ole put the finger of the sparkplug hole and checking to see if it blew your finger off, which it did. I also hooked up an air pump to it and it had zero leaks, even had enough pressure to turn the motor over. Question though. The cam gear can only go on one way correct? The only thing i can think of is to try and advance the timing. Any other Ideas? It is just weird that it ran fine for about 15mins, then started running like crap.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

It could be off a tooth and still start and run.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Head Gasket... One tiny little nick in the gasket. I couldn't believe it. i was getting good pressure on my pressure tests. Runs like a champ now!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW. i'm glad i subscribed to this thread. i learned another thing here. thanks for the updates! glad you got it going!

Old 01-09-2023, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tao best mods u can do

Originally Posted by AJohnson14
Ok, lets start off by saying that this little quad has been a recent nightmare. It started with the crank case vent tube nut located inside the air filter. The nut miraculously broke off at got sucked down the intake, bending the intake valve. Ok, simple fix and a whole new head was almost as cheap as the valve so i just replaced the head.

Bike ran like it was brand new for about 15mins, then it started to hesitate. I emptied the fuel take, replaced it with fresh fuel and there was no change. I then removed the carb and thoroughly cleaned it out. NO CHANGE.

So... i bought a new carb, replaced it, set the air/fuel mixture and Idle...NO CHANGE!!!. Did the simple sparkplug replacement for the third time. Still No change... Adjusted the valves to .005, still no change.

I know my way around small engine, but this thing has me stumped! It fired right up, has a perfect idle, but as soon as you hit the gas it stumbles all over itself. Let off and it's fine.

I NEED HELP before i turn it into a rolling ball off fire!
​​​​​​So my tao db 14 kept doing the same so i got a aftermarket bigger intake on the regional carb. Then i removed fuel filter. And just got rid of it took air hose blew it threw my carb clean it all out. And took the crank case hose ran it straight down and got a aftermarket air filter. And put a 17 tooth front sprocket and use high octane. And now it runs like a champ and i ride it hard as possible and never had any problems since