1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Stator interchangability

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator interchangability

My tao tao 110d is in need of a stator (6 coil). I was able to get it running by swapping on the stator (2 coil) AND flywheel from my smaller 110.

Now, in my research I've found some 8 and 11 coil magnetos. Does anyone know about the interchangeability of these units onto my 110d (expecting a 6coil stock)?

I would like the increased output for accessories, is my thought in the functions of these units correct? If so I'll pick up a 6 coil for my small 110, and an 8 or 11 coil for my 110d.

I am fully capable of modifying the wiring (plugs vs spades, etc..) and the location of the spark signal pick-up.

-Rich

Old 09-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

On your swap: It runs, and that's great, but is your battery charging system working? That's a lot more subtle than just having spark. Measure your battery voltage with the engine running at medium speed with the headlights off. You should see 13.5 to 14.5 volts DC. If not, you've got problems...

I have no idea, but I expect that mechanical compatibility issues will keep you from getting very far. The stator has to bolt up, the flywheel dimensions and taper have to match, and the side covers have to fit over the bigger stator.

You can check the mechanical compatibility of your old six pole stator/flywheel with your smaller 110cc. If it works then go for it. The 8 pole stator is most likely a different animal - and much bigger.

The battery charging side of stator outputs can be different topologies:

1) Single ended (one side grounded) with two taps on the hot side
2) Differential with neither side grounded
3) Three phase, with three 120 degree phase shifted outputs with no winding grounded.

Two pole stators are usually (but not always) #1
I've never seen a 6 pole stator that is anything but #2, but I'm not all knowing...
Ditto the 6 pole stator info with 8 pole stators (#2)
Eleven pole stators are three phase (#3)

All of these differences dictate what voltage regulator you have. Change the stator topology, and you change the regulator topology. Change the regulator topology and you change the wiring. And if you have AC powered stuff (lights, choke, radiator cooling fans) the wiring changes a *lot*.

I really do think your idea is dead out of the gate because of mechanical issues, but since I don't know that for sure I wanted to point out the pitfalls that await you down the road should you find something that happens to bolt up...

Oh, and one more thing... Some stators don't have the AC ignition power winding (for quads with DC powered CDIs). If you quad CDI is AC powered you got to match that requirement too when choosing a stator...

Last edited by LynnEdwards; 09-29-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: More info...