1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

taotao 110cc atv

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taotao 110cc atv

Motor or starter? spins when trying to crank. Spark plug has fire but holding thump over spark plug hole no compression. Any help appreciated. I'm not real smart with these.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not an expert in 110cc mechanical issues. I've never worked on one. So the following comments are based on general knowledge.

No compresion at all is usually a sign of major engine failure. Almost certianly this will involve and engine tear down to see what is going on.

Do you really have "zero" compresion when holding your thumb over the spark hole? If so you jig up some kind of plug/injector arrangement such that you replace your thumb with a plug/cork that also allows you to inject compressed air into the cylinder. I'm thinking electrical tape wound around a air gun nozzle to form a robot like thumb, or a wine bottle cork with a hole drilled through it where you cram in the air gun nozzle.

Rotate the engine to top dead center (TDC) on the compression stroke (using the timing marks on the flywheel) to put the engine in a position where both valves are closed. In other words the cylinder is all closed up. And since the cranshaft is at exactly TDC any injected air pressure can't push the piston back down.

Remove the oil filler cap. Inject some air into the cylinder. Where does the injected air come back out? Listen for it at the possible exit points. There are only four possibilities I can think of:

1) The muffler through the exhaust valve.
2) The carburetor through the intake valve.
3) The crankcase oil filler cap - going past the rings (or a big hole in the piston) into the crankcase and then out the oil filler cap.
4) The head gasket. Listen for hissing at the joint between the head and the cylinder. Maybe squirt soapy water at the joint and look for bubbles.

This is what I would do to gather more information. Again I'm not an engine expert. I invite input from others more knowledgeable - I especially invite critical input.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wilsonmk47
Motor or starter? spins when trying to crank. Spark plug has fire but holding thump over spark plug hole no compression. Any help appreciated. I'm not real smart with these.
Your Intake Valve needs to be adjusted it's a common problem with the 110cc Honda clone engine set the intake valve at .003