1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

another carb question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another carb question

My parents gave my 7 year old son one of these baja 50cc atv's they picked up at an auction a while back. Other than being dusty it looks brand new. Of course it doesnt run.

Replaced battery (it needed it)
Replaced plug (just to be safe)

After that I could get it to turn over just fine, but wouldnt start. Found that they routed the thin fuel line from the petcock to the carb over the frame and it appeared pinched and had dried up that way. So I replaced that. Removed the carb filter and sprayed some carb cleaner and low and behold it would fire up... for about 2 seconds.
So I pulled the carb, tore it apart, soaked it in carb cleaner and went at it with wires and pipe cleaners. I did find quite a bit of gunk under one of the pins so I thought for sure that was it.
Put it all together and its still acting that way.
So after nearly running down the new battery turning this thing over I pulled the carb again and tore it apart. When I opened the bowl it was pretty much dry. Which it should have been all but flooded from all the cranking on the throttle I was doing (or pushing on the throttle).

So what could be causing this. Ive read where people have said something about vaccuum, but Im not sure where to check for that. Im really running out of ideas on this one.

I found a new replacement carb on ebay for 22.00 and I dont have a problem buying it. But its driving me crazy not knowing whats going on with this thing.

I have no idea what year this thing is. I did find an online manual for it, but it doesnt give any information except for pointing to the idler screw, and its not even the same carb.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Old 11-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found a video on youtube with someone explaining the seat valve. I think I missed that. Trying it now and will update if it works or not. Crossing fingers

Ive done alot of general maintenance over the years, but never actually tore into a carb before. Now that Ive learned a little more about them, this is probably the first thing I should have checked when I tore it down the first time. Thank you youtube...lol

Old 11-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well that was it... Now I just cant get it to slow down when you let off the gas...lol Have to hit the brake to slow down then your fine.. but that might be a little much for a 7 year old....

But atleast I got that figured out

Old 11-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Incase anyone has a similar problem and lacks experiance like myself. Here is a link to the video that made me realize what I needed to look for