1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

chinese atv problem HELP PLEASE!

Old 11-17-2012, 10:16 AM
cde
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chinese atv problem HELP PLEASE!

i have a 110cc peace atv it ran fine last week and now it wont start its getting gas and it has spark but it wont fire up and start. i sprayed starter fluid in the breather still didnt fire up also sprayed in cylinder still didnt fire i can see the blue spark when i check it but im i have no idea whats going on it did fire a few times when i first tryed to start it but nothing now please help

Old 11-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When was the last time you adjusted the valves?

Tried a new spark plug? Sometimes plugs fail in a way that they will spark outside the engine, but won't spark inside the engine under compression. It takes more voltage to arc through compressed air.

What is the history of this quad? Has it ever been hard to start before? Is it hard to start when cold?

How's the compression?

Old 11-18-2012, 07:54 AM
cde
Weekend Warrior
Default Chinese atv

The atv is new it has less than 1 hour on it I messed around yesterday I think it's cold weather related it started fine when it warmed up outside do you have any idea what would cause this?

Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Electrical Expert

Check the valve clearances.

Valve clearances get tighter as the engine cools down, and they get tighter still as the engine wears. And on a new engine they get tighter as the valves seat themselves in. So the first symptom you'll see as the valves get too tight is extreme hard starting when the engine is cold, but the engine starts and runs fine when warm.

Set the engine to top dead center on the compression stroke, and adjust the clearances to 0.004" exhaust and intake on a cold engine. Search YouTube for videos on this subject. There are several good ones out there.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:02 PM
cde
Weekend Warrior
Default chinese atv

could it be the battery that has enough amps to make the motor turnover when its cold but not enough to start the engine when i change the battery it will start easier?

Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Electrical Expert

Is your engine cranking slower than normal when it is cold? If not then the battery isn't the problem.

You could also just jump your quad battery to your car battery (take extra care to get the polarity right). That test would isolate any battery capacity issues without having to buy a new battery. If it cranks faster when cold and starts up then the battery is involved.

Alternatively you could measure the battery voltage right on the battery terminals while cranking the starter. It should stay above 12.0 volts. If it does your battery is OK.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 AM
cde
Weekend Warrior
Default Chinese atv

The motor does slow some but not much when it's cold when it warms up it normal do you know of a shop manual I could buy I think this is a Honda type motor just didn't know what Manuel to buy

Old 11-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by cde
The motor does slow some but not much when it's cold when it warms up it normal do you know of a shop manual I could buy I think this is a Honda type motor just didn't know what Manuel to buy
I've never seen a full blown service manual for 110cc quads (unlike 150cc GY6 engines where there numerous full service manuals available for free).

The 110cc engine is a copy of the Honda E22 engine. Clymer publishes a service book for the Honda E22 engine - most people use the Clymer book for their chinese clones.