1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Dinli 90 weak on take off

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dinli 90 weak on take off

I just bought a dinli 90 for my daughter and it ran fine but then we were at the dunes n it would not have any power when it would take off till it got moving and it would run fine. I did notice the the hose from air box to carb came off n I put it back on cleaned carb Jett's and put it back together and it still weak off the take off. I did a compression test and it was at 120. Is that ok for that atv cuz my others daughters predator 50 compression is about the same.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

And another thing I did notice that the lights stopped working when it started acting like this. Just the brake lights work when I push the rear brakes but the running lights don't work. I took a volt meter to the front lights and got nothing but voltage on the brake lights. Is this just a coincidence or has anything to do with it also cuz the carb is electric choke. Thanks.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chico222
And another thing I did notice that the lights stopped working when it started acting like this. Just the brake lights work when I push the rear brakes but the running lights don't work. I took a volt meter to the front lights and got nothing but voltage on the brake lights. Is this just a coincidence or has anything to do with it also cuz the carb is electric choke. Thanks.
I don't know anything about Dinli's. I don't think lighting issues have anything to do with low power at low speeds. And I have no idea on the low power issue...

But on your lighting issue, do you know if your lights are powered off AC from the stator, or DC power from the battery? Think back to when they were working.... If you were to turn on the ignition switch (with the engine stopped), and turn on the headlights, would they light up? If so they are DC powered.

On the other hand, if they only light up when the engine is running, and they run dimmer at idle, then your headlights are AC powered.

The troubleshooting procedure differs depending on which system you have.

Note: Your brake light will most likely be DC powered off the battery - completely separate from the rest of your lights. This is because your brake switch (and the brake light that is attached to it) is part of a starter motor safety interlock that prevents the starter from turning unless the brakes are applied. This is much the same idea as the interlock that prevents you from starting up your car unless the transmission in is neutral or park. You don't want to allow any machine to be started up in gear and take off unexpectedly.

I have an electric choke on my 4 stroke GY6 150cc quad. I don't know if a dinli 90cc is 2 stroke or not. On my quad if the choke isn't working the usual symptoms are normal startup and warmup period, but as the engine warms the idles speed gets erratic and wanders in idle speed. At high or medium speed I noticed no issues. Only idle. I don't know about two strokes. In my case it was a connector left unplugged that caused the problem (totally my fault).

There are test procedures out there to check the auto choke operation. I have the links somewhere if you need them....

Old 11-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you probably need to adjust the semiauto clutch. nut is on a slotted stud on the side of the crankcase. do you have enough throttle? the cable may need adjusting also. i'm not familiar with Dinlis either. but let me send you a generic piece of info that may help. i'll PM you.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Dinli was a Tiawanese machine and a good one.
Do clutch maintenance and see if something is wrong in there.
Comp at 120 is good.
Maybe check to see if the pipe is plugged.
Jaster FYI: it's a 2 stroke CVT motor.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks LT80, i didn't know that. i appreciate the lesson

Old 11-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

About the lights I don't recall if they dimmed when it would idle so I'm not sure about that but the battery has been dead since I got it and when I started it they would turn on. About the clutches that's a good idea I'll look into to that and the exhaust. I looked into it and it looked like it had some gel in it and don't know if that's normal for those types of exhausts.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I take it back about the gel looking stuff in the exhaust. It was the smoke after I had ran it. I guess I had one to many drinks to realize what it was. Lol

Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I figured out the take off problem. I feel so dumb. I took the carb apart 3 times n cleaned it. I took jets out and cleaned them and they were clean finally the 3rd time I looked in the carb where the pilot jet goes and it was clogged. There was a pin hole so I was able to see thru it and I blew thru it and cleared it out. It wasn't passing enough fuel for it to take off good. Now it's working like a champ. Now I need to figure out the light issue but at least she can ride it and enjoy. Thank everyone for all your help. Going to take a little break from it and then work on the lights.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chico222
Ok I figured out the take off problem. I feel so dumb. I took the carb apart 3 times n cleaned it. I took jets out and cleaned them and they were clean finally the 3rd time I looked in the carb where the pilot jet goes and it was clogged. There was a pin hole so I was able to see thru it and I blew thru it and cleared it out. It wasn't passing enough fuel for it to take off good. Now it's working like a champ. Now I need to figure out the light issue but at least she can ride it and enjoy. Thank everyone for all your help. Going to take a little break from it and then work on the lights.
Come back when you are ready and we'll work on the lighting.

Quick Reply: Dinli 90 weak on take off