1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

charging output

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging output

I got to thinking today about the one light that doesn't work on my boy's kazuma falcon 110 and began to wonder if these things have enough output to put a couple 35w or 55watt lights on it and keep the battery charged. It's a honda clone 110. Does anybody know what the charging output is on these?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A deficiency in charging capability wouldn't affect just one light. It would affect all lights the same. So that statement about one light not working has me a little confused....

My 150cc quad with a high output 8 pole stator (6 pole is standard issue) will put out a *maximum* of 55 watts at high engine speeds. You have a much smaller engine, so without a doubt the output capacity will be much smaller. And you mentioned a "couple" of 35 or 55 watt lights (i.e. 70 or 110 watts). Dream on... No way....

If your lights run on 12 volts DC, and you overload the output capacity of the charging system, the lights will continue to function, but the excess current above and beyond the charging system capacity will simply come out of the battery. Thus the battery will be going dead as you ride along.

If your lights are AC powered, and it is overloading the charging system capacity, then you the lights we be always running dim, and even more dim at slower speeds. AC powered lights cannot be supplemented with battery power (the voltage regulator prevents this).

If you're set on adding better lighting, then think "LED" technology. It is so much more efficient incandescant technology that high lumen output lighting is feasable even on 110cc quads, while keeping your battery charged to boot. But LED technology comes at a price. They're more expensive, but they are also a world of difference in terms of power in versus lumens out.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wasn't that only one of the two lights worked, it's the one light that should have been two but the other side is missing didn't work That's fairly low as far as output goes.... I guess I'll starting checking around on some led's or something similar. I want him to have enough light to see because when we camp we ride at night and I want him to be as safe as possible but I don't really want to deal with a dead battery either Thanks Lynn!