1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

110cc will not fire up

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110cc will not fire up

I recently purchased a used 110 cc Chinese ATV (Terminator110) that now will not fire up. It cranks and every so often I get a good onethat sounds like it is going to start. The previous owner had it running andrecently put over $300 into it at a local garage (new battery, high altitudeidle adjustment, some new wiring etc…).

When I engage the break and hit the switch it tries to startand seems, initially, like it is soooooo close to starting up. However itnever does and after 10 to 15 minutes of trying the brand new battery needs arest. I have read a lot of posts and have tried just about everything but avalve adjustment. Here is a complete list of what I have tried.

· New Fuel
· Cleaned carb
· Seated air/fuel mix screw and opened it back upto 2 turns and ended up at 1.5 turns in attempt to richen it a little forweather and high altitude.
· Compression seems good at spark plug and exhaustpipe
· Battery charges back to about 12.75V each time Iput it back on charger or tender
· Followed suggestion from 2manyToys to adjust thejet needle in top of the carb to use the 5th slot (bottom one) with the e-pin,allowing it to let more fuel in with throttle.
· Checked for spark and best I can tell it looks fine(bright white with traces of blue…. Pretty consistently the entire time it iscranking. Should it be all blue?

The weather is awfully cold lately and we are at about7200ft. Could it just be the weather (in the single digits this week.)

Old 02-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Range Rover

have you tried adjusting the valves? the intake valve on these tend to tighten up and make it hard to start.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsidewarrior
have you tried adjusting the valves? the intake valve on these tend to tighten up and make it hard to start.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't. I will need to learn how it sounds like. Thanks guys.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Last weekend I found that there was a big crack in the gasket between the carburetor and the intake. It looks like the last person that worked on it looks to have put some black goop on it. But I think it was sucking to much air. So I found a new gasket online and plan to mount it back on tomorrow. I sure hope that does the trick. Any bets?

Old 03-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Range Rover

i hope it fires right up for you

Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

There was no joy in Mudville this weekend, but I haven't struck out yet. I replaced the gasket and later in mere frustration I replaced the entire carb with an identical model (other than the new one has a manual choke on the carb body instead of a cable to the handle bar.)

I still cannot get it to fire up. It just tries and tries. So I got to reading about adjusting the valves and figured out what I need to do... however, I am missing two important parts. 1.) A feeler gage that is long enough and 2.) the exact gap settings I need to set each side for this 110cc.

Other than that it actually looks pretty straight forward and painless. I have everything opened up, lined up and ready. I just need the longer feeler gage which I will pick up this week. Until then I will research the exact openings I need....Thanks everyone.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tested the intake and exhaust side of the valves and found them at .004 and .006 respectively. What next? I am stumped. Still never fires. It always sounds like the next attempt is going to the be the 'one' that finally starts her.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have you verified if it is a fuel delivery problem? crank the quad, CONSERVATIVELY squirt a short shot of ether/starting fluid into the air filter. did it fire up and run? if so, you ain't getting gasoline to the cylinder through the carb's jets. if it doesn't fire up on ether/starting fluid, then please replace the spark plug, preferably an NGK or whatever brand you're loyal to. i know you said you had spark, but sometimes a spark plug can "test" good and once it is in the cylinder, it can ground out and not spark. recently a guy had a smiliar issue and $3 and a trip to O'Reillys later his quad was running due to a "bad" spark plug. worth a shot!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you Jaster94!
Originally Posted by Jaster94
CONSERVATIVELY squirt a short shot of ether/starting fluid into the air filter. did it fire up and run?
I continue to try this but not once has it ever fired. Maybe I never mentioned this before, but if I pull the plug completely out and crank it over it doesnt sound much different. With the plug in it only sounds a slight bit closer to firing.

Originally Posted by Jaster94
if it doesn't fire up on ether/starting fluid, then please replace the spark plug
I have replaced the spark plug with an identical NGK plug that was originally in it. However that brings up a good question.... Could it be the wrong model NGK plug? I replaced it with an exact duplicate, NGK CR6HSA. However, I read on another thread that someone else was using a CR7HSA in their 110.

Thanks again for all the help.

Quick Reply: 110cc will not fire up