1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring

I am Wondering if anyone can help me with a 110cc Jet Moto quad. To start alot of the wires got disconnected about a month ago. I have since re connected everything but its been a major head ache for someone who is not familiar with wiring.
Without going into a novel on what I have done I have power. LIghts are coming on and working. However there doesnt seem to be power to my solonoid since it does nothing.
My thoughts are its the safety switch which is the foot break and a tether on the back. However how do I check these with a multi meter. what setting does it need to be on? can some one explain what I need to check to get this quad turning over. Also I can touch the two terminals on solonoid and it will turn the starter.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

let's start with some simple checks:
does it have an inline fuse at the battery? if so, is it good or blown? should be on the positive side.
does your brake light illuminate when engaging the brake?
up on the left handlebar brake lever, is that where the brake fluid reservoir is located? sorry, i'm not familiar with jetmotos.
if the the reservoir is there, when you actuate the brake lever, do you hear a "tink"? that would indicate if the brake switch is working or not. it'll be a faint sound. while on the subject, does it have an adequate level of DOT 4 brake fluid?
that brake switch is part of a safety interlock that'll keep the quad from starting/cranking. that way a kid doesn't stand beside and it starts and runs them over.
on the left handlebar, is there a red slide switch for "off/on/off"?
are you getting power through the key switch?
how about power out of the starter button?

Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

It does have a good fuse in it. I checked the key switch. red is reading just over 12 volts and when key is on there is a plain black wire that is also reading just over 12.

there is plenty of brake fluid at the handle bar. I havent heard for the tink yet. Will try to check that tomorrow. I went back out and looked and the brake light is coming on only when I have my head lights on for some reason.

There is a only a switch at the top of the left handle bar that is on or off. same side as lights and start button. do I check power off the start button the same way i would the key. this is what I am not sure of. what setting my multi meter needs to be on.

Thank You by the
way for the help.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

need to read for at least 12 volts unless your checking for continuity. check the start button while activating it so see if the circuit is being completed. make sure that the on/off button is on but not going to ground which would kill the quad.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay not sure I did it right since when I checked it came out to be 18 volts through both wires. cant theses quads be ac or dc power how do I tell the difference of the two. Sorry for any confusion I will give I am just very limited to electrical knowledge. I will also be out of state for a few days so I will not be checking this thread until early this next week.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yes, they can be ac/dc. depends on which one you got.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you know how I would be able to tell.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i haven't had much dealings with DC. but do a search in the chinese quad section and the chinese expert section for ac/dc. Lynn Edwards has a few excellent write ups about ac/dc identification. i got to refer to them quite a bit sometimes.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just got back from Az back to working on quad. Far as I can figure I have a dc powered quad. I have a question on is there a way to bypass all the safety features to see if one is the issue. I have replaced most everything on this quad. Still trying to figure out the last part.