1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

No fire, and losing my mind

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No fire, and losing my mind

OK, I picked up a newage 200cc with reverse quad. So I looked over it and every light and switch seems to work great, but it has a very weak and no spark. I have a couple quad and a lot of electrical parts laying around my shop. So I swapped out the cdi, coil, and by passed kill switch. after all this I have nothing. Please help. I want to play with this quad. The PO said his son rode through a deep puddle and it died, and has never started back up.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

oh brake lights, running lights, head light, gear lights, everything works just no spark

Old 06-05-2016, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

I think you first need to check the stator for charging. Then charge the battery. If it turns over and the spark plug fires, it must be not getting gas. So take carb apart and clean it, check that you have good flow of clean gas, check that the choke works. Personally, once I got it running perfectly, I'd try to sell and buy a non Chi Com bike. If you are on a tight budget, look at a Kymco bike, better quality, built in Taiwan.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I cleaned carb, Tank, and replaced fuel lines and filter. It is getting lots of gas. Never test a stator on a 4 wheeler? It isn't like the ones on the motorcycles I work on. how do you test it. Being I took coil, and cdi and put them on my other and it fired right up. I am guessing it has to be the stator. Just not sure how to test it.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ohms meter...Do you have a manual?

Old 06-06-2016, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

Check all your grounds too. Try the old cdi box if you still have it, then the old coil. New doesn't mean it works. We like to think when we unwrap a new part it's going to be perfect, not always. Sorry to be hard on the Chineese imports, but...

Old 06-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd also check the flywheel key. If the engine was hydro-locked from the deep puddle it could have been sheared.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a multi meter. no manual though. I put the cdi and coil on my 150cc and it started and ran fine. I am pretty sure its stator. I just didn't know it would keep a quad from running. I have never tested a stator off a quad. Not sure how to bench test it.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah...the stator provides the juice for the CDI & Coil...basically it's a mini electrical generator...If you tested the other parts on a running machine then time to test the stator. As mentioned above...also ensure it has a good ground!

If you have a meter then you can test for resistance (not starting) and voltage (when turning the engine over)...if those check out then I'd proceed to Hugemoth's suggestion on the flywheel key on the crank. You'll probably need to remove the flywheel and you'll probably need a puller for that...if the key is sheared then you've lost your timing (sending the juice at the right time to ignite the gas/air under compression).

Old 06-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Range Rover
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the engine is a Honda CG clone (push rod) then the flywheel can be pulled with a large bolt. I forget what size but something like a 16mm X 1.5mm.

Quick Reply: No fire, and losing my mind