1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

SUNL SLA-135G... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SUNL SLA-135G... Help!

Hello, guys! I'm new here, but a stranger regarding engines and wiring.
Still... I got a problem with mine.
Let me start from the beginning:
I just received a SUNL SLA-135G ATV as a gift. The ex-owner told me he didn't use it for almost a year, keeping it covered and outside. Both are living in Houston area which is known for the higher moisture in the air.
I got a new battery and succeeded to rotate the engine. It has the semi-automatic transmision (3 speed-forward, 1 speed-reverse) and the 110cc engine.
I checked the electric system and looks and works OK. I checked the spark... there is a good spark and the spark plug is still in good condition.
I put some gas in the gas tank and... still not running, just turning/rotating.
It has the electric starter only and works good so far.
I took off the carburetor (19mm) and disassembled it apart to check it for debris and dirt. I found a lot of deposits on jets and the input needle which acts as a valve when a certain level of gas is achieved in the carburetor chamber.
I uncloghed the small holes of jets, but the idle jet I couldn't reopen the hole which goes all the way through it (from top to bottom).
I took off the air filter (damaged) for testing. It suppose to run without it anyway, so I'm not concern about it.
Still, the engine is turning, but not starting even with the choke engaged and the throttle lever pushed a bit. No flooding spark plug, gas is in the carburetor, spark is good, still not starting.

I have to mention this ATV was running in very good condition; actually, it has less than 10h of running.
I have some questions about some devices I cannot identify and cannot connect as needed.

P.S.: I cannot see the attachment button yet so I'm not able to attach any picture/photo I have. But I can send an email to whom wanna help me so far.

Long short story... it is a device attached to the exhaust, like a membrane and it has a hose with a kind of filter which an arrow pointing to the exhaust. the other end is in the air right now. On the other hand, the carburetor chamber small hose (at the bottom of the carburetor) is left in the air too. I was assuming it must be connected to that free end of the exhaust device, acting like a fuel pump by pushing some pressure from the exhaust through that membrane into the carburetor chamber so the gas can be pushed into the mixing area of it. I'm not sure about it. I couldn't find any related info on internet. I also don't know its name so I don't know what to look for.

Any idea, any expert that could help me with, please?!
I would really appreciate it, my friends!!!

Old 09-24-2014, 06:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

IMO you'll need to open the pilot jet up.
I had to get small drill bits to do a tough one.
There may be more to the problem but the jet needs to be opened up.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:00 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Just let the carb parts soak for a little while in some carb cleaner. Use a paperclip to open up the holes. Until you get that carb 100% clean you are going to have issues. even if the carb turns out not to be the issue you have to eliminate it as a suspect. I also had issues after cleaning a carb when the air in it was not allowing fuel to enter the carb. I took a spare pc of fuel line attached to the carb and used a squirt bottle to fill the line holding it up in the air. Slightly blew in the line to force fuel into carb. Used the squirt bottle to spray in carb to get it started and keep it running until the air worked out of the system and started pulling from hose. Iv had carbs where i have had to clean them several times to get all the junk out of them.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you guys. I ordered a new carburetor and I'll keep this one as a spare part after I clean the pilot/idle jet too. I was thinking about drilling the hole with a tiny drill-bit, but didn't do it yet. I was trying to reopen that hole with a paper clip and some mineral spirit (this is all I got at that moment). It is like a piece of metal is welded inside that hole. I k ow this is the most importnat issue I have to fix, that's why I ordered new carb.
One on another, nobody told me about that "thing" connected to the exhaust pipe, close to the engine end, attached by 2 screws and having a hose which goes into a kind of filter with an unused end (at least this is the status right now).
From the bottom of the carburetor another hose starts to nowhere. What is all about these things? What's the meaning/point of them? What are they doing?

Old 09-25-2014, 06:59 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Siconi
One on another, nobody told me about that "thing" connected to the exhaust pipe, close to the engine end, attached by 2 screws and having a hose which goes into a kind of filter with an unused end (at least this is the status right now).
From the bottom of the carburetor another hose starts to nowhere. What is all about these things? What's the meaning/point of them? What are they doing?
Its got something to do with the EPA and or CARB.. its a emissions item. none of mine have it so i dont know if you could disconnect it..

Old 09-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

It've been already disconnected by the time the ATV came into my possesion. This is the reason I'm asking about it, most of others do not have this device/part. Where should I reconnect the free end of it?
One end is already attached to the exhaust pipe, close to the engine end of the pipe, by 2 screws. So, where goes the other end of it?

Old 09-25-2014, 10:11 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I think it went to a breather on the air filter box.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

The line of this device is like the following:
Exhaust pipe -> device attached with 2 screws -> a piece of larger diameter hose -> a kind of filter with an arrow on it, pointind to the exhaust - > a smaller diameter hose plug
... and this is the end of this line. I have no port on the intake to link them, not on the filter case, not on the intake manifold (that piece of rubber which connects the air filter and the intake of carburetor).
I assume somebody changed th air filterand the rubber manifold before me and did not reconnect the exhaust. But why the arrow on that filter is pointing to the exhaust, and NOT to the carburetor? And there is no way to connect that filter in other position, due to different sizes of diameters for in and out.
I'm sorry I cannot attach some pics. They are more than 10,000 words, I know.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

"From the bottom of the carburetor another hose starts to nowhere"
IMO it's a float bowl drain tube. It simply points the flow down when the bowl is drained.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Why the arrow from that device is pointing to the exhaust lipe and NOT to the carb or air intake side? And there is no other way to connect it vice-verse. I'm trying to get it.
Meanwhile, I have changed the carburetor and the engine started so quick. Still I have to adjust the idle screw and the cable tension as the engine is increasing its rpm without pushing the throttle lever. I have also installed a gas valve between the gas tank and the carb.
Just fixed some electric issues too.

Quick Reply: SUNL SLA-135G... Help!