1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

atv doesnt move

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv doesnt move

2013 125cc foot shift..has fwd/n/reverse only.
atv cranks and runs great. Previous owner said they bought it used but in great looking shape.looks hardly ran at all.
anyway,if you shift it in fwd or reverse and try to roll it,the tires are catching like they are suposed to in gear.
once you crank it,shift into 1st,you get that clank feel liek its in gear but doesnt move.if you rev it kinda high,it will move slightly.same issues in reverse.
I opened up the side cover to look at the adjustment and it had already been messed with. When I loosened the bolt,the set screw was turned all the way to the right.also,when turning that set screw,it moved inside the case some and fluid poured out. I adjust it a few times with no difference in the transmission
The previous owners said their kids only rode it one day then it stopped moving.
what is most likely the issue. thanks

Old 03-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

To adjust the clutching im assuming its a nut with a screw in the middle? Use a screwdriver to hold the screw while you loosen the nut. Turn set screw until you feel some resistance. Holding the screw tighten the nut. Do you know what oil is in it? I had one that previous owner just used regular oil and not wet clutch compatible. Had to do a few oil changes and adjust the clutch each time but i was able to save it. By your description the clutch is way out of adjustment.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:41 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Zrock
To adjust the clutching im assuming its a nut with a screw in the middle? Use a screwdriver to hold the screw while you loosen the nut. Turn set screw until you feel some resistance. Holding the screw tighten the nut. Do you know what oil is in it? I had one that previous owner just used regular oil and not wet clutch compatible. Had to do a few oil changes and adjust the clutch each time but i was able to save it. By your description the clutch is way out of adjustment.
I changed the oil and did the adjustment,i feel no resistance as i turn the set screw.the screw itself moved in and out and oil leaks out.Once i tigthen it back down,the leaks stop. I am doing this while it is running and adjusting a turn at a rime,tighten down and seeing if the tranny catches. the tav will move a little better but it taked wide open throttle to move it. reverse isnt perfect but stronger.
it clicks really good when u put it into gear though,sounds like the way it is supposed to sound.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:40 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by bamax100
I changed the oil and did the adjustment,i feel no resistance as i turn the set screw.the screw itself moved in and out and oil leaks out.Once i tigthen it back down,the leaks stop. I am doing this while it is running and adjusting a turn at a rime,tighten down and seeing if the tranny catches. the tav will move a little better but it taked wide open throttle to move it. reverse isnt perfect but stronger.
it clicks really good when u put it into gear though,sounds like the way it is supposed to sound.
You don't adjust while running.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Zrock
You don't adjust while running.
i did it non running also with no results

Old 03-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol

If its not bottoming out or getting any resistance. The pin/screw could be broken. When I did my first one I had to give it quite a few turns. I thought it was broken so I figured hey keep turning what else can I brake.. keep on turn in. .lol

Old 03-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Range Rover

lol..kinda what im thinking.when i got it,it was already cranked all the way over. i adjusted 1 a few months ago and got it to actually work.shame this one may be bad, its a nice atv.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:37 PM
Super Quad Patrol

If its not bottoming out or getting any resistance. The pin/screw could be broken. When I did my first one I had to give it quite a few turns. I thought it was broken so I figured hey keep turning what else can I brake.. keep on turn in. .lol

Old 03-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Range Rover

i can turn it clockwise till it bottoms out with no resistance. if i turn counter clockwise,after a few cranks i get some resistance and it will turn a few more turns. if i bottom it out that way,the shifter doesnt move.i have to go back a few cranks to get the foot shifter to engage.still doesnt move much though. I guess taking the side cover off will expose any problems i am looking for?

Old 04-14-2015, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

You need a new clutch.